Girl Meets First Day, part III

Josh started running back. Then, he suddenly stopped and turned around. 'You have to stay here. I'll be right back.' 'But-' Riley started to protest. 'No 'but', I will return in a few minutes. Stay here', he said firmly. The group obeyed his order and stayed where they were. Josh walked for half a mile, but Maya was nowhere to be found. 'Maya!' he called. 'Maya, where are you?!' He started picking up pace. 'Please, where are you?' He tried to calm himself down, but he couldn't keep himself from panicking. 'Focus, Josh', he told himself. 'She has to be close.' He started running and had to stop after a while, because he was too tired to carry on. He had walked the whole day and needed a break. He sat down against a tree. Josh made little shapes in the earth with his finger. ''What am I doing?'' he thought. ''I have to keep looking for her.'' He tried to push himself up, but his legs were weak. With a lot of effort, he managed to stand. That was the moment he saw his ripped jeans. Blood covered the dark blue fabric. 'Oh no', he muttered. While running to search Maya, he hadn't noticed himself getting injured. ''It doesn't matter'', he thought, ''finding Maya is more important''. He continued walking, limping, but this time more slowly. 'MAYA!' he shouted. Still no answer. He had been away for more than half an hour and he couldn't leave the others alone for much longer. Josh decided to walk back to the group. It was a long travel back, but he eventually reached them. 'Josh, what happened?' Vanessa asked, staring wide-eyes at his injured legs. 'I don't know. Look, I couldn't find Maya. I'm going to search a little longer. You guys should return to the mansion.' 'No, I'm not letting you go out there on your own again', Riley said. 'Besides, I need to find her. She's my best friend. I wouldn't know what to do if we can't find her.' Lucas cleared his throat. 'Fine. I'll go with you, Josh.' Riley's uncle looked surprised. 'Are you sure? It's getting dark and it won't be easy. And I'm not so sure if it will be safe, either.' Lucas looked confident in his decision. 'Of course I'm going. I want to find her just as badly as the rest of you do.' He turned to Riley after saying those words. 'And you, Riley, return to the mansion. We'll meet you there.' Riley nodded, but she didn't like the idea. 'If we're not back in two hours, call the police', Josh said. 'Will do', his niece said. She took the boys by their arms. 'Be safe, okay?' she said. Lucas nodded. 'See you in a few hours. Hopefully, we've found her by then.' He quickly planted a kiss on Riley's forehead and left with Josh. They took off in the approaching twilight. 'Please let everything be alright', Riley said, a tear rolling down her cheek.

Thanks for reading! I didn't have the time to do a longer chapter. You'll find out what happened to Maya soon :)

Love,