Girl Meets First day, part IV

'We should've brought a flashlight', Lucas said, desperately trying to see through the darkness. Even though the sun set late on Hawaii, it was already beginning to get dark. 'Yeah, you're right', Josh said. 'But we can't go back, now. Not without Maya.' Lucas studied him for a moment. 'Yes...not with Maya', he repeated Josh's words.

An hour later, they were still searching. 'Do you hear that?' Josh asked. 'What?' 'The river we crossed earlier today. It's got to be near.' It was really getting dark now and if they wouldn't find their friend soon, it would be too dangerous to go on. 'I think Riley already called the police', Josh said, suddenly worried. 'No, it's okay. When we hugged, I told her to wait until eleven o'clock.' Josh frowned. 'I hope she listened.' Lucas nodded. 'I trust her.' The distance between the two boys and the river grew smaller. 'Please be near.' They heard a squeaking sound and looked around. 'What was that?' Lucas asked. 'I don't know', Josh answered. 'But I don't think we should stay here for long.' They picked up their pace. They heard another noise, this time a little softer. 'It sounds like...' Lucas began. 'Someone's crying', Josh finished his sentence. 'Come on. It might be her!' With renewed hope, they started running towards the sound. 'Maya!' they shouted. 'Maya, is that you?!' No one answered. 'MAYA!' Josh shouted from the top of his lungs. 'I... am... here.' 'Oh my God, it's really her!', Lucas exclaimed. A splashing noise sounded, indicating that Maya was either in or near the river. The boys ran as fast as they could. They found the girl, clothes all soaked from the water and a leg covered in blood. Tears rolled down her cheeks. Maya tried to dry them with her hands, which were all covered in scratches. 'Help...me', she tried to say, but it sounded more like 'welp muh'. 'We have to be careful', Josh said, looking at her injuries. The smile that had spread across his face when they'd found her had vanished, making way for a worried look as soon as he saw how bad her condition was. He had never seen her cry before. Maya had always been a tough girl and now she seemed a little more soft. But he could see her trying to be strong, even though she had to be in extreme pain. 'We are going to help you, Maya', he said softly. He looked at er situation. Her leg was in a strange position. 'It'll be fine', Josh said, even though he doubted it. But he had to make her feel safe. Lucas came a bit closer. 'We'll have to pull her up by her arms', he said. Josh thought for a moment. 'That's probably the best thing to do. On the count of three.' Josh took Maya by her left arm and Lucas did the same on the other side. 'It might hurt', Lucas said. 'But it'll be over before you know it. You can get through it.' Maya was too tired and in too much pain to make any comments about him being a 'Huckleberry' and just went with what they said. She felt the sting of the pain through her body, but managed to get up with the boys' help. 'Thanks.' Josh lifted her up and placed her on the back of his shoulders. 'Wha-what are you doing? You can't carry me', she tried to say. 'I have done it before. Well, actually you jumped me after I received my letter from the University of New York. Ah well, it's nearly the same.' Maya almost smiled at the thought of that, yet she couldn't quite get herself to move. Her lip was also bleeding. She had slipped on a rock the way to the mansion. Since she was the last one to cross the river, no one had noticed or heard her falling. Her leg... It still hurt. When she fell, her face had hit one of the rocks, causing every word she said to sound strange. It was a long way home, but they finally reached the mansion. Maya, Josh and Lucas had never been so relieved in their lives. Josh put Maya on the couch, making sure he didn't hurt her leg. 'You okay?' he asked her. She gave a small nod. 'I...wouldn't know...what I would've...done...without...' Her eyes closed. She had fallen asleep. Josh smiled for a moment, watching her. He covered her with a blanket. Riley, Farkle, Zay and Vanessa entered the living room. 'Have you found her? Is everything okay?' Riley asked, still in shock of what had happened. 'She's fine, Riley', Josh told his niece. 'She just needs some rest and time to recover. I'll explain what happened later. We'll have to wash the blood away tomorrow. I don't want to wake her.' 'Blood?' Riley said, her jaw dropping. Farkle, Zay and Vanessa looked concerned as well, but remained quiet. After a while, they decided to go to sleep. There wasn't anything they could do for Maya at that moment. But they were really  relieved to see her again. 'Thank God she's safe', Farkle whispered to himself. Josh and Lucas went to the kitchen to drink a cup of hot chocolate. Riley said she wanted to stay with Maya for a little while, which ended up being the whole night. She guarded her best friend, who was still sleeping. Lucas looked at Josh with a studying expression on his face. 'You don't regard her as just the best friend of your niece, do you?' he asked. Josh looked up from his cup. 'What do you mean?' Lucas was figuring out what to say. 'I saw...how you were when we'd lost her, like everything good in your life had just vanished. And when we found her again...I don't have any words to describe the look on your face. I was extremely happy to see her again as well. But in a different way.' Josh didn't know what to say. 'Lucas, I-' 'Don't worry', Lucas interrupted him, 'I won't tell.' Josh wanted to protest, saying he had no such feelings for Maya. But was that even true? He knew the answer deep inside. ''I won't tell.'' He kept playing those words over and over again in his head. After a while, he said: 'Thank you.'

So this was the ending of the 'Girls Meets First Day'-chapters and it also was the first real Joshaya chapter in this story. I hope you all liked it :)  Thanks for reading and thank you to everyone who has voted for the previous chapters. Feel free to leave a comment below! I hope you liked the ending of these four chapters, I tried to make it as interesting as possible. I'll try to update tomorrow, but I'm sorry to say I won't update for a week after that. So the next update will either be tomorrow or next Wednesday. Again, thanks for reading!

Love,