Girl Meets Sleepover/Girl Meets Friendship

It was the evening before their departure. Maya stayed over at Riley's home. 'I can't believe we're actually going...' Maya looked up at her best friend. 'Why not?' she asked. 'Uhm, have you met my dad?' Riley and Maya laughed. 'He'd rather keep me at home, where I'm safe, until I turn eighty and he might not even let me go then', Riley continued. 'That's true. But he's just trying to protect you, Riles.' Riley thought about that for a while. 'Yeah, I know, Peaches. I'm glad he let me go to Hawaii with you guys. Especially since you'll be there with me.' She took Maya's hand and gave her best friend a warm smile. 'And I'll always be by your side', Maya answered. 'And...' Maya hesitated for a moment, wondering if she really wanted to say what went through her mind at that very moment. 'What, Peaches?' 'And...you're really lucky to have a father figure to take care of you and hold you in his arms when you want to feel safe.' Riley put an arm around Maya's shoulder. 'I'd like you to think of me as your family', she said. 'I do', Maya said. 'Just not as a father figure. You're way too girly!' Riley cracked a smile at that comment. She took a strand of hair and lay it down on her upper lip, making it look like a mustache. 'Don't I look like a guy to you?' she said in a deep, low voice. Maya laughed and slapped her friend on the arm. 'Stop it, Riles.' Riley went on with guy impressions. Tears of joy were running down the girls' cheeks. 'A little less loud', Cory called from downstairs. 'Auggie's sleeping.' 'Okay, Dad', Riley called back. When she looked at Maya, they started laughing again, this time a bit softer. 'You know, we should sleep a bit. We have to wake up again in seven hours.' Maya groaned. 'Not now. We're having fun. I'm never gonna sleep again!'

Fifteen minutes later, the girls were browsing through a stack of magazines, looking for fun articles or quizzes. 'This is a nice one', Maya said after a while. 'What's your ideal guy?' 'Oh, we should definitely do that one.' Riley sat up straight. 'Okay Riles, what do you look for in a guy?
A: He has to be sweet and caring.
B: Humor. Always humor.                                                                                                                                                              
C: He has to be strong and handsome!'                                                     

'A!' Riley said enthusiastically.

'What is his best feature regarding his looks?' 'If his smile is an option, then that's my answer!' 'Uhm yeah, it is.' A few other questions followed. 'So, your results... Your type is a...Huckleberry! You're type is a quite attractive guy, who cares a lot about you and who would do anything for his friends. He can be really annoying and -' 'Maya!' Riley shouted, temporarily forgetting to be quiet. 'I'm sorry, Riley, I had to do that.' They looked at each other and laughed for a moment. 'I really like the two of you together', Maya said. 'You make each other a better person. Not that you'd need it. You've always been a good person, Riles.' 'Aw thank you Peaches.' After a moment of silence she added: 'I think of you as a good persoon, too, Maya.' And soon after that, the two girls fell asleep, dreaming about the adventures that would follow when they arrived at their tropical destination.

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it. I wanted to make a chapter that was about Maya and Riley's friendship and here it is :)

Love,

Julie