Girl Meets Guilt

After almost two hours of waiting, they still weren't allowed to see Cory. 'Forget it', Topanga said, 'I'm a lawyer. I will get in.' She stood up from her chair and left the waiting area. 'You think she'll get in?' Maya asked Riley. She'd tried to talk to her friend earlier, but no response had come. She didn't expect her to say anything now. But, surprisingly, she did. 'Probably. After all, she's Topanga.' Maya nodded. 'That's true.' Katy walked up to the two girls and sat down next to her daughter. 'I got you something. I figured you'd be thirsty.' She handed both Riley and Maya a can of soda. 'Thanks, Mrs. Hart', Riley said. 'Yeah, thanks, Mom.' Katy shot the girls a small smile - but it wasn't a happy one. It wasn't the time for smiling. Riley rose from her chair. 'I, um, should check on Josh', she said as she pointed to her uncle, who was - again- sitting all by himself, his head in his hands. Katy nodded. Riley walked to Josh. He didn't even bother looking at her when she sat down next to him. 'Josh?' she asked carefully. No answer. 'Please, talk to me.' Josh glanced at his niece, but still no words came out of his mouth. Riley understood he didn't want to talk, but she also knew everyone in that room had the same stuff to deal with. His silence annoyed her a little bit. 'Josh?' she asked again. 'For God's sake, just say something! Anything', she said with a desperate note in her voice. 'What do you want me to say? That I am the reason Cory's lying here, in this stupid hospital because of a stupid accident.' Riley looked at him, surprised by what he'd said. 'What?' 'You heard me', he said curt. 'How could you possibly have been the reason my dad ended up here?' Josh bit on his lip, trying to avoid crying. 'Please, Riley', he begged. 'I don't want to talk right now.' 'Then when will you? There are a lot of things I'd rather not do, either, but I still do them. Now, why do you think it's your fault?' Josh looked her right in the eyes. Riley saw a sad look on his face, exhausted from arguing and from blaming himself for Cory's terrible accident. 'Because it is. I called him. If I hadn't done that, he would never have left the mansion and that car wouldn't have hit him and-' 'Josh, breathe.' Riley took his hands and looked at him, kindly. They both had tears in their eyes. 'You kept us safe. Not just today. Remember Maya's accident? Who was the one searching for her in the dark? And you put yourself in danger just to call my father to make sure we would be safe. That was all you, Josh. You're the reason we're safe.' 'Cory isn't.' Riley usually knew what to say, but now, she was lost for words. 'Riley, don't try to change my thoughts. I know what happened and I'm responsible for it.' At that point, Topanga entered the waiting area.

'We can go in', she said. 'I've been with him for a few minutes and he's doing okay.' Everyone felt relief washing over. Riley stood up again. 'Um, Mom, could Josh go? Alone. We all want to see him, but I think it's best if he goes first and has some privacy.' Topanga nodded. 'That's okay.' Everyone saw Topanga was feeling better after seeing Cory and knowing he was in good hands and would be fine. Josh shot Riley a look, which appeared to be a grateful one. Riley squeezed his hand encouragingly. Josh started walking off towards room 27A, but before he left the area, he looked at Riley one more time and gave her a smile. It was a little one, but still. He then left to go see his brother.

When he got to Cory's room, the door was open. He knocked anyway and then entered the room. 'It's me', he said. 'J- Josh?' Cory asked with a crooked voice. He sounded a little weak, which was understandable after getting hit by a car.  Josh walked up to him and sat down on a stool next to the hospital bed in which Cory was lying. 'Yes', he replied. For a few moments, neither one of them said anything. 'Thank you', Cory said. Josh frowned. That was the last thing he'd expected. 'What for?' he asked. 'For keeping my daughter and her friends safe. That', he said, 'means the world to me.' 'No', Josh said. 'I failed. I'm the reason you're in this hospital. Cory, I'm so, so sorry. This is all my fault.' He looked down. 'It's not. Josh, stop blaming yourself for something you couldn't do anything about.' 'If I hadn't called you...' 'The others would have in danger', Cory finished his sentence even though that wasn't what Josh would have said if he got the chance to. 'You promised to keep them safe and you did exactly that. You stayed behind just to call me to help them. And you were out in a freaking storm. Josh, if I know anything, it's that something like that takes great courage.' 'Yeah, but-' 'No buts. I'm your big brother. I can take care of myself. You don't have to do that for me. And I'm really grateful you kept Riley and the others safe.' 'So... It's not my fault?' Josh said. It was more of a question. 'Of course not', Cory said, looking at his brother lovingly. 'I'm glad you're okay', Josh said. 'Me too. I will have to stay here for a little longer, though. At least, that's what the doctor says. We could always, you know, leave without anyone noticing it.' 'I'm not gonna help you sneak out', Josh said, and for the first time he laughed a little. 'You said it yourself, big brothers take care of themselves.' Cory shot Josh a smile. 'Sure thing. I'd give you a hug, but, well...' 'I understand', Josh said. 'Right now, I'm giving you a mental hug', Cory said, which made Josh laugh again. 'Hey, I'm going to get the others', Josh said. 'I'll be right back.' Cory nodded. And then he was alone in the room again.

Hi everybody :) Thanks for reading this new chapter! I hope you liked it. Thanks so much for your support and again a special thank-you to those who have voted on previous chapters. I'm really grateful to all of you! Have a very nice day :)

Love,