Chapter 30 - The Ones He Called Family

Three Years Ago...

"Parker?" Elizabeth came walking up behind Parker, who was sat on a hill. The wind was blowing and it was dark, the moon shining across the river, the water glistening and the fireflies floating around ever so slowly. 

"What is it?" Parker asked, without turning her way. He was staring at the water directly below him, frowning slightly at his own thoughts. 

"We're changing location soon, you know? Why don't you go and see your Mom before we leave" Elizabeth suggested quietly to Parker. 

"Why should I? She probably hates me after I left, I haven't been since I did" Parker brought his knees up and wrapped his arms around them. This was another side of Parker no one but Elizabeth knew. He wasn't being his old nonchalant self.

"It doesn't really matter if you don't want to. We're fine with that. I just thought it was a good idea" Elizabeth sat down next to Parker and looked down at the water.

There was a moment of silence as Parker reflected on the choice he had. Crickets could be heard chirping in the background, the noise wrapping around the silence between the two like a bow. Elizabeth looked at Parker as he raised his head towards the starry sky.

"I guess so" was all he could reply with after the silence.

"Well, just remember that we are also your family" Elizabeth smiled and Parker looked back at her.

Family, huh?

Present Day...

Parker stood on the hill, looking down at the water. He could see his reflection from a standing position, his face reminding him of the past. He could see how he looked back then and the events that occurred. 

"What even is a family?" Parker said to himself, putting his hands in his pockets. "It just seems like a corrupt idea put into my head. To me anyway. We don't get a say in who we are 'family' to...it's just made for us..."

"Parker?" Elizabeth stood behind him, a sense of deja vu sending shockwaves through his body. Elizabeth stepped up so she was next to him, her long hair blowing crazily in the wind that was passing by.

Parker paused, silence filling the space. He didn't know how to reply. He had vengeance on his mind, total destruction for her and the rest of them. But, she sounded sincere and like she wanted to talk. He wasn't sure.

"Parker?" she repeated, tilting her head towards him.

"What?" Parker replied, not even glancing her way, his eyes stuck to the water below. The breeze picked up again as they both paused. Elizabeth stared hard at Parker, waiting for him to look up. However, he wasn't going to move a muscle.

"You know why we did what we have done. You understand, right?" Elizabeth stepped a little closer, reaching out a hand. Parker instantly slapped her arm away and turned to her, fire in his eyes.

"Oh I understand" his voice was filled with malice. He clearly still had vengeance on his mind. "I am going to make sure you all pay one final time"

"I see..." Elizabeth frowned and then clicked her fingers. "I didn't want it to end this way"

Parker looked up and realised it was too late. Suddenly, a net dropped down from a helicopter that had somehow swooped over the two unnoticed. It had a silent engine and now Parker was trapped. The net was on a cable that stretched out from the helicopter and it picked Parker up with ease. 

"Let me out of here!" Parker sarcastically mimicked the voice of Elizabeth.

"Nope. We are a family, Parker. We never leave anyone behind" Elizabeth spoke slowly, an evil smile curling across her lips. She waited for a ladder to drop down from the compartment at the back of the helicopter and began climbing up to the top. Halfway, her eyes met with Parker. "Have a nice trip!"