Chapter 14 - A Peaceful Surprise!

(THIS CHAPTER IS LONG; IF YOU SEE MISTAKES, TELL ME PLEASE! THANKS AND TAKE CARE :D)

With Ash returning, Serena managed to sleep the next night. Once morning came, she woke up before everyone else, besides Ash, who was sitting on a dozen metres from the camp. Pikachu wasn't with him, however, because he had been overcharged with electricity, which had worn him out. Serena did a little stretch to ease her muscles and walked over to Ash. She noticed he had a stick, prodding the mud with it.

"Good morning" Serena sat next to Ash, still in her pyjamas. Ash looked up at her and smiled.

"How did you sleep?" he asked her, before turning back to the activity at hand.

"I slept well. Have you slept at all?" Serena wondered, frowning at Ash. His facial expression gave her the answer. "You need to sleep so you can keep your energy up"

"I'm fine" Ash instantly replied, standing up. "Why don't we take a walk?" 

"I need to get dressed" Serena pointed out.

"I'll wait here" Ash sat back down and cupped his chin with his left hand, picking up the stick with his right. While Serena was walking to her tent, he began to draw in the mud. 

Serena took the time to think. Ash was usually more energetic than he had just been. She put it to the fact that he hadn't slept, but deep down, she knew something else was affecting his mind. Perhaps the dreams? Serena wasn't sure. She got changed into her clothes pretty quickly and made her way back to Ash.

"Let' s go then!" Serena came back with a huge smile. Ash turned and he couldn't help but smile at Serena's energy. He dropped the stick and got up, instantly intertwining his hand with hers. They headed off down the path. 

"Today looks like a nice day, we should consider our next steps" Ash suggested to Serena, who was looking up at the sky, a few Pidgey's flying by. 

"You're right, we should" Serena agreed, taking in the scenery. The slight breeze that rolled through created a nice curtain against the sun's heat. "Shouldn't we contact Parker, since the others are in trouble?" 

"That sounds like a doable plan. If we can contact him, we can maybe figure out what is going on..." Ash scratched his chin with his opposite hand, but Serena bumped into him with a smile on her face. "What the-?"

"I think you might be going crazy" Serena joked, clenching Ash's hand a little tighter. "This isn't the usual Ash I know"

"I am just getting worked up, that's all" Ash scratched the back of his head and stopped walking. Serena gave him an encouraging kiss on the cheek and smiled.

"Never give up. Right?" 

"Right" Ash returned the smile once more and nodded, continuing with the walk. 

After a few more minutes, they turned back and made their way towards the camp once more. Upon arrival, most of the gang had woken up.

"Where did you two go?" Dawn asked them both, hands on hips and leaning in inquisitively. "Hmm?"

"Just for a walk" Ash replied casually, walking around Dawn and sitting down at the table for food. 

"What he said," Serena said to Dawn, copying Ash and sitting next to him.

"Hmmph," Dawn shrugged and sat down with them, various suspicions sitting in the back of her mind.

The rest of the gang woke up and breakfast was served, all of them sitting around a big table.

"It feels good, eating breakfast together like this" Bonnie said, before wolfing down a load of food.

"I just hope today is a little more peaceful than usual" Brock stated, causing everyone to slow down their eating and converse.