Chapter 23 - Ash

Another day passed without Serena. After the funeral, everyone understood what Ash was saying, but they all went their separate ways to think about what had happened. 

The sun was just rising above the hills and Ash was still in a deep sleep, dreaming about something that seemed too real. 

The Dream...

Ash was on the floor, looking up at the sky. The sky was a deep black, rain dropping from the clouds that surrounded most of it, thunder booming in the distance. Ash's vision was blurry and his ears were ringing, but he made out a voice that made his heart skip a beat.

"Ash?! Ash?!" Serena repeated over and over again.

Ash felt his body shake, assuming Serena was shaking him. He waited until his vision returned and sat up quickly, ears clearing up. All he could hear was Serena, the pouring rain and roaring thunder.

"I'm okay" Ash decided to reply. He looked down at his own hands, wondering if what he was witnessing was real life. 

"Oh thank god. He was trying to get you to make a crazy decision with my life or all of your Pokemon. I got Sylveon in at the last minute and bought us some time" Serena explained, speaking at quite a rapid pace. 

Ash's head began to hurt. He could feel his brain beating like his heart, the information causing him to be completely paralysed.

But...I thought...Serena...

The events in the real world played in Ash's head and it all became too much. He dropped straight back onto the floor, slowly passing out.

"Ash! What's wrong? Ash!!!" Serena shouted, her voice slowly fading away.

Present Day...

Ash came back to reality. He was now back at his own house, in his own bed. As if on cue, there was a knock at the door. Ash raced down in his pyjamas to see who it was, feeling a little curious. He got to the door unlocked it, before gripping the handle and swinging it open.

"Good morning" Parker, who was standing on the threshold smiled at Ash.

Ash tried to smile back and nodded slightly. "Yeah, morning"

"You don't need to try so hard to smile if you're still grieving. Give it time" Parker put his hand on Ash's shoulder and he smiled a little harder. "I just came because I wanted to ask you something"

"What is it?" Ash asked, the smile fading from his face. He wasn't feeling up to smiling and Parker's words made him feel more comfortable. Ash leant against the wall, waiting for Parker to speak.

"This may sound crazy, but did you have a weird dream?" Parker asked so casually it was a big shock to Ash, who nodded instantly.

"Yes. I saw Serena, she was alive. It felt so real. But...I had to live through the shock of remembering her death, even though she was there. It was like my mind was trapped in a completely different body" Ash tried to explain it as best as he could and Parked nodded, understanding what Ash said fully. 

"Exactly. I am going to head to the Sinnoh region, where Gary went. He might be able to give us some clues and maybe he has had this crazy dream too" Parker looked around, seemingly eager to set off.

"Why don't we just try and gather everyone again?" Ash wondered, but then he remembered what some of them had said after the funeral.

After the Funeral...

"I know how tough this must be on you Ash" Miette was wiping tears away and sobbing out loud, face pressed against Ash's shoulder as she spoke. "But I can't cope either. I don't care if Team Shadow win, I need to go home"