An Accident (?)

'Why on earth, do they eat, so much?!'  

As you're walking back to your apartment building, you think about this. As the re-usable black bags you're carrying currently were quite heavy. You're 18 and should be in college, but since your mother is suffering from the recent loss of your father, you haven't been able to, as you've been too busy keeping your family on their feet. Working as a pizza deliverer.

 Sure, when you were younger you looked up to your father, but when you grew older you found out that he was using real animals for his experiments, instead of standardized testing. And that morning when he found you trying to set them free... You shudder to think about it.

And as you were engrossed in your thoughts you weren't looking around you and crashed into someone. You yelped as you fell, and your bags, filled with food from a recent trip to the food mart, spilled everywhere around you.

"Whoa, are you ok?" A baritone voice asked from above you. 

You looked up and saw a short skeleton in a blue hoodie with white fluff around the hood, black basketball shorts, and pink slippers. You weren't frightened, as monsters had been living up on the surface for about three years now.

You realized that you hadn't said anything as you studied the monster in front of you, so you rushed into saying: 

"Oh! yeah, I'm fine, sorry, I wasn't looking" You looked around and started to pick up the food that had fallen from your grasp, luckily, the more fragile contents didn't break or shatter.

 You began placing them back in the reusable bags, the skeleton Monster crouched by you, and started to help you fill the bags almost expertly. 

When you were done he said, "Do you need help to carry these?" 

You shook your head a small grin playing on your lips "No, I'm ok, I don't want to be a bother"

The skeleton smiled, well, at least you think he did, "It's alright, I'm not busy" 

You stood up and started to pick up the bags at your feet.

 "Are you sure? It's no problem really, I don't want to take more of your time" 

The skeleton smile widened at your attempt to deny his help and said casually "Yep, I'm sure." 

You sighed, relenting "Well, alright... I guess I did feel a little like a pack mule, heh" 

You chuckled nervously. The skeleton cocked his head to his side as he helped you pick up some bags. 

"Hey this might seem random, but do you like jokes?" He asked.

You smiled and nodded "Well, yeah, I like to make my brothers go krazy with them. What about you?" You asked him back.

He chuckled. "I guess I could say the same." Your smile widened, there weren't many people who enjoyed jokes and puns in this city. 

When both of you had picked up all of the almost overflowing bags, you had about 10 bags each, as you've complained before, you're not sure why they eat so much. The skeleton gestured towards the sidewalk.

"Lead the way,"  

You nodded, smiling thankfully at him, and starting toward your apartment about a couple of crosswalks and a few stores away. 

While you were walking the skeleton asked:

"So, what's your name?"

You blinked, before realizing you hadn't even introduced yourself yet. If your arms weren't carrying the bags, you would've facepalmed.

 "Right! I am so sorry. You probably want to know who exactly your helping..." You started smiling apologetically at the Monster beside you, "It's (Y/n), (Y/n) (L/n) at your service-" You stopped then chuckled.

"Or, I guess you're at mine, sorry"

The skeleton smiled and replied "No, you're good, my name's Sans, Sans the Skeleton, it's nice to meet you (Y/n)," 

You smiled back "Nice to meet you too, Sans,"

You and continued walking by stores and boutiques of every kind. After passing a bakery, a question sprang up. One you couldn't help yourself but ask.

 "Hey, uh- Sans," The skeleton turned his head- er skull (?) towards you giving you his attention "if you don't mind me asking, how do you like the surface?" 

Sans kept his smile "Well, if I'm honest, I didn't at first, since humans kept giving us weird looks, but now it seems we're kind of accepted now, no offense"

You smiled and chuckled a little "None taken at all, I have to agree though, I was always kind of interested to monsters" 

Sans' eye-sockets widened a little bit.

 "Really?" 

You chuckled sheepishly, not expecting that response, and glanced away admiring the mannequins of a clothing store.

"Well, yeah, ever since my mom told me the legend when I was little, I always have. I was disappointed when I found out that Humans had trapped such interesting people Underground. I mean, beings that can use Magick on a whim? You gotta admit that's pretty cool."

Sans seemed surprised and faced forward. Probably thinking about what you said, after a few more minutes you came to a stop at the front doors of your apartment building, which looked a bit like a fancy hotel. It wasn't, it just looked like it.

 "Well, here we are, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it, I wasn't exactly looking forward to carrying all of this all the way here." Sans stopped next to you and his smile, which now seemed permanent, widened slightly 

"It's no problem, you sure you don't want my help carrying these to your apartment?"

 You shook your head "No, It's alright, I got it from here"

Sans shrugged "You sure?" 

You smiled and nodded your head "Yeah, I'm sure, you already spent a lot of time helping me."

Sans shrugged again and started to give you his bags, once all of the bags he had been carrying were transferred to you, he stepped back a bit.

 "Welp, see ya around (Y/n)" You smiled gratefully and replied:

"See you around Sans, and thank you, it was awesome talking with you" Sans' smile widened again and he disappeared. 

Like 'Poof' gone.

You blinked a few times before shaking your head, grinning just a little.

'Magick' 

Turning to the apartment building's front doors, you walked in, nodded your head in greeting to the lady at the front desk. Then up to the elevator, riding it to the second floor, and to the door leading to your family's apartment. 

Something you had forgotten breached the surface of your mind and you huffed out a sigh as you found out that your keys were in the back pocket of your jeans. 

Great...

~~~

Words: 1099