Chapter 3

Carly awoke before her alarm went off, a ritual that seemed to be an everyday occurrence, especially when she knew she was going to work. She was always nervous before a shift at the hospital; she had to be when people were putting their lives in her hands. Despite her nerves though, she was always confident in her abilities, particularly when. Like today, she would be working with her husband. She rolled over and looked at his sleeping form, his chest rising and slowly falling back down as he lay peacefully. She loved watching him sleep, purely because he was so relaxed. When she had met Lee, he was the most stressed out person that she'd ever met. He was always hailed as a brilliant doctor but Carly believed that now he was in a much better place, he was twice the doctor that he was before. Of course, she wouldn't say that to his face.

She waited for a couple of minutes until the sound of their alarm began to blare around the room. It was like a marching band was strolling through but instead of a letting out a frustrated groan; Lee rolled over and turned it off before climbing out of bed straight away. Carly never got tired of seeing him get up in the mornings. She found it incredibly amusing that he could get up and go with such ease. Lee took being a morning person to the absolute limit.

As per usual in the mornings, Carly climbed in the shower whilst Lee made coffee and had some cereal, and then the two swapped over. When Lee came out of the shower, Carly was already dressed and almost ready to go. Mr. Dawson took just a couple of minutes to get himself dressed and to rough up his hair with some gel. Despite the fact that his shirt had survived the mess from the day before, he still adorned a new one, a purple one to match the t-shirt that Carly was wearing.

"We're like twins!" She joked.

"Please don't ever say that again" Lee warned her, still laughing anyway.

They both climbed into his car and drove to work, keeping the windows up this time. Cooler than the day before, it was around 57 degrees Fahrenheit and slightly breezy.

The weather was quickly forgotten once they arrived at work though. The curved multi-storey, light grey building was now nothing new to the couple, but when Lee first arrived at the hospital to profess his love for Carly, he'd asked his taxi driver if it really was a hospital. He couldn't believe how small it was compared to his previous place of employment. As soon as they arrived, they were immediately greeted by a small Japanese man in a lab coat.

"Ah the dream team! Good to see you both back!" He said in his understandable but broken English. He slicked a stray strand of his long dark hair out of his face and back behind his ears.

"It's good to see you too Shinsuke" Carly smiled.

"Any exciting patients at the moment Doctor Nagatomo?" Lee asked. Nagatomo worked primarily overnight so they rarely worked together but often transferred patients to the other if they required extra care.

"Nothing you can't handle Doctor Dawson" Shinsuke smiled, his eyes bulging with friendliness.

When Nagatomo first arrived at the hospital, Lee described him as weird. He was overly friendly and seemed to ask Lee's opinion on everything, and not just medical things. He asked him what "American music" to listen to, what sort of jewellery his wife might like and whether his kids should be allowed to watch Ninja Turtles. However the more he got to know him, Lee found a true friend in Shinsuke and tried to grab a beer with him whenever they were both free.

"Good to hear it" Lee smiled before heading to the reception desk to see what sort of appointments he had for that day.

Whilst Lee was away, Nagatomo stepped closer to Carly and whispered something to her, causing her to laugh out loud, attracting Lee's attention once more.