The Father Returns

Airport

Dakota sat in a chair in front of one of the terminal exits with Legend lying by her feet. She had an open case file in her lap from the case that Matty's working on. The victim was Steven Butler, twenty year old, who everyone believed died of a drug overdose. Once the FBI got there, it was determined that he was poisoned.

"Dakotaaaaa...." Henry said as he stood in front of her.

She closed the file and stood up, "Henry!" She reached up and hugged him. "It's so good to see you."

"You didn't have to come pick me up." He replied hugging her back.

"Don't be ridiculous. Of course I had to. Besides I have to take you to Barry." Dakota murmured. "Oh and this is Legend."

Henry smiled sadly down at Legend, "I'm really....sorry about Cooper."

"Me too."

STAR Labs

Dakota slowly entered the Cortex, "Barry...."

He sat up, "Hey...um-"

"I brought someone for you." She cut him off not wanting to talk.

Henry stepped around the corner.

"Dad." Barry carefully stood up and hugged him.

Dakota crossed her arms and frowned, "I should go. I'll see you later."

"Wait." Barry called out. He weakly took a few steps toward her. She set Legend on the ground. He put his hand on her cheek but she shied away from it. "I'm sorry....about everything."

"I have a case I need to solve." Dakota scooped up Legend and left the Cortex

Henry glanced at Barry who just shook his head. Barry's dad grabbed Barry's x-rays off the table and looked at them.

"No spinal cord edema. I don't see any subacute hemorrhaging. Bone fused beautifully. You're all good." Henry smiled and set the x-rays down.

"Check out Dakota's." Barry suggested as his dad grabbed the other one.

"Her leg was shattered. Her arm, snapped in half. How is she walking?!" Henry asked setting the x-rays down.

"The speed force is in her system. She was walking the day after it happened." Barry replied. "Zoom threw her off a roof."

Matty's Apartment

The two of them sat on his couch facing each other while Legend was roaming around the apartment. Dakota's duffel bag sat in the hallway and Legend's pillow sat by the door.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Matty asked gently scooting closer.

"Talk about what? There's nothing to talk about." Dakota shrugged crossing her arms from the chill in his apartment.

"I saw the drawing Dakota." Matty murmured placing his hand on her.

"Don't you have Mac and cheese? I think I'll make some." Dakota stood up and disappeared into the kitchen.

Matty sighed in annoyance and watched her make the food. She grabbed a knife and let it hover over the cheese, ready to cut.

Dakota stiffened up and her hand began to shake, "I....I don't think I can...."

Matty rushed forward and rested his hand on the one that held the knife and the other rested on her shoulder, "Hey hey....take a deep breath. Just relax."

"I have to let go..." Dakota mumbled as Matty tried to steady her hand.

"No. You can do this. You. Can. Do. This." Matty leaned his head closer turning it to face her. 

Dakota leaned closer to Matty who squeezed her shoulder lightly. He lowered his head bringing his lips centimeters from hers and his fingers gently tangled in her hair.

They were so close from kissing but then someone knocked on the door.

Dakota yanked herself away realizing what almost happened, "I....um....were you expecting someone?"

Matty shook his head and Legend jumped off his bed. Dakota pulled her pistol from the holster that's on her back and crept towards the door. The person knocked again.

Dakota yanked open the door and pointed her gun in the doorway.

It was Barry.