Falling Apart

FBI Building

Dakota sat in Derek's office holding Legend in her lap, "I was having a decent day. Matty just bought me a puppy. And then you called."

Derek shrugged and handed her a pen and paper, "It's my job to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine. Honestly." Kota cuddled Legend closer on her lap.

"No you're not. You're not sleeping well. Does Barry know?" Derek asked.

Dakota snorted in disgust, "Barry hasn't been home."

"What are you dreaming about?" Derek leaned forward in the seat.

"I don't wanna talk about it." Dakota kissed the top of Legend's head. "I want to talk to Kinsley about getting this little guy ready."

"Can you draw it for me? Your dream?" Derek raised an eyebrow.

Dakota took the paper and began drawing with Legend still in her lap. She let the images flow onto the paper and it took her a while to finish. Derek sat in silence, watching her. Never broke down. Never cried. Kota was emotionless on the outside. But on the inside she was furious.

Furious at Barry.

Furious at Zoom.

Legend had curled up on her lap as she set the paper on the table, "I'm done."

Derek took the paper and looked down at it. His eyes widened and he looked back up at Dakota. "How are you-"

"Okay? Truth is, I'm not. I'm angry. I'm furious in fact. I want to hit someone. But I can't because I'll be suspended. I want to cry but I just....can't. Matty bought me a DOG." Dakota snapped startling Legend from his nap.

Matty stepped into the door, "Hey Joe is here. He wants to talk to you and after that you can help me with the case that we're working on."

Dakota nodded and headed back into her office.

Matty looked at the drawing as Derek set it down, "She did that?"

Derek nodded sadly, "I....honestly don't know what to say to her."

Matty folded the paper and stuck it in his pocket, "I'm gonna kill him."

Dakota found Joe sitting in a chair across from her desk. She set Legend on the pillow so he could finish his nap and sat down at her desk.

"What's up?" Dakota leaned back and set her feet up.

"I need you to call Barry's dad. Maybe he can get him out of his shell." Joe suggested interlocking his fingers and setting them on his stomach.

Kota shook her head, "Barry is in his shell because he's broken. His spirit is broken. He's like a horse. Won't go up to the gate unless you teach him."

"So teach him." Joe lifted his hands up in a gesture. "You're his fiancé."

"He didn't want to see me Joe. I was broken. Cooper is dead, Joe." Dakota glared at him. "Why do I have to call him?"

"Because you and Henry are the only ones that can get through to him." Joe walked out of the office leaving her to stare at her phone.

STAR Labs

Matty walked into the Cortex holding the drawing against his body.

"What....what are you doing here?" Barry asked sitting up in the wheelchair.

"I came to talk to you. About Dakota." Matty said quietly still holding the paper.

Barry sighed in annoyance, "It's none of your business."

"Dakota is my partner. YOUR FIANCÉ. And she's falling apart. I'm trying to keep her from that." Matty snapped glaring at Barry. "It is my business." Barry stayed silent. "I'm worried about her Barry." Matty handed him the paper. "You should be too. Oh and she's staying at my place tonight."