Aftermath

Dakota and Matty sat in silence. She didn't cry, she didn't say anything. Matty didn't either.

"Give me good news." Dakota mumbled looking down at her broken limbs.

"Barry's alive but-"

"I wanna see him." Dakota ordered.

Matty sighed and stood up, "I'll go check to see if he's awake." He walked into the Cortex and peeked his head in the med bay. "Dakota's awake. She wants to see you, Barry."

Barry hesitated, "I don't know....not like this...."

"Barry-"

"I couldn't protect her last night. Cooper died trying to save me. Zoom is going to be after her now. He knows about her speed force." Barry grumbled. "I have to protect her. Seeing me...like this. It won't help."

Matty scowled at him, "This is Dakota we're talking about. The one who killed a man to protect you. The one who's taken bullets for you. The one who jumped on top of a fucking bomb for you. The one whose dog died FOR YOU."

Matty turned and walked back into Dakota's temporary home.

"Well?" She looked up from her phone which was now in her hand.

"He....doesn't want to see you." Matty said quietly.

Dakota frowned and looked down at her broken limbs, "Let me guess....he doesn't want me to see him because....it's bad isn't it?"

"He's paralyzed from the waist down. It's gonna be a while before he gets back on his feet again. Let alone run." Matty replied sitting down in the chair again. He reached over and grabbed her hand, rubbing his thumb over the top. "He'll be okay."

****

Dakota's broken limbs had healed pretty well, at least according to Caitlyn. Matty led her to the Cortex so she could sneak a peek of Barry. He looked peaceful while he slept but he looked...different.

Matty drove her home and he walked her to the door, "Are you gonna be okay by yourself?"

Dakota hugged him, "I'll be okay...."

"Listen....I'm really sorry about Coop." Matty whispered.

Dakota smiled and went inside the apartment. She stood in the darkness as she dropped her bag by the door. Kota walked around the apartment taking in the eerie silence. She didn't bother to unpack her bag or test out her new found super speed.

Dakota stripped out of her clothes and into sweatpants and one of Barry's STAR Labs sweatshirts. She curled up in bed and closed her eyes.

****

The night replayed in her head, Barry breaking his back, her falling off the roof, and worst of all Cooper dying.

Dakota rolled to the other side of the bed where her phone was and dialed Matty's number.

"Heeeey, you okay?" Matty asked yawning slightly.

"I can't sleep. Can you come over?" Dakota grumbled climbing out of bed and made her way to the couch.

"I'll be right there." Matty hung up the phone.

Ten minutes later Matty was walking through her front door to find Dakota sitting on the couch flipping through the TV channels. She smiled and patted a spot next to her on the couch. Matty tossed his jacket on another chair and sat next to her.

"You doing okay?" Matty scooting closer.

Kota just shrugged, "I can't believe he wouldn't let me see him."

"Some are just like that." Matty wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her close. "I'm sorry...."

Dakota leaned into him as he wrapped both of his arms around her and shifted so she was kind of on his lap.

"Do you need me to do anything?" Matty asked quietly taking in the scent of her hair.

"Just hold me."