Chapter 40

This last month has been a crazy one. Every morning I go to the infirmary to visit Eric, who is unfortunately still in a coma. I don't know if he'll ever wake up, but I don't think I'm ready to let go yet.

Then I go to lunch with Sam which is nice after the emotional mornings I usually have.

After lunch, Sam and I meet up with Four, Tris, and Lauren to talk about the faction. It took some convincing, but we have become the leaders of Dauntless.

The other factions quickly found out what happened on that chaotic day. I met up with all the faction leaders and once they found out the truth they were all on board.

We've been working hard to get this faction back to its crazy normal self again. I would say we are pretty close.

After work, I go back to Eric and tell him all about it. It doesn't feel right to not have him lead this faction but by telling him about it, I still feel like he's somehow apart of it.

I stay at the infirmary until the kind lady at the desk tells me she's locking up which is usually around 10 o'clock.

After that, I usually go to Sam's apartment for the night.

Sam and I have been spending a lot of time together. Not because we were set up to or because we had to, but because we genuinely wanted to. We supported each other through the tough times.

I spent a lot of nights at his place because I didn't like being alone anymore and I didn't like to leave him alone after hearing about his suicidal thoughts.

Currently, I'm back in my apartment, sitting on the edge of the bathtub, clutching the little stick in my hand, balling my eyes out.

It's positive.

But Sam and I haven't done anything yet, how could this be? It's been over a month since I was last with Eric. I guess it had to be his?

I'm supposed to be getting ready for Anna's wedding. I asked Sam to be my date and of course he said yes.

Sam should be here any minute and all that's done is my hair. I don't know why I decided to take the test now. I haven't had my period in two months so I thought maybe I should take it.

I don't want Sam to find out like this though. I throw away the pregnancy test and attempt to dry my eyes with a nearby towel.

While I'm putting on mascara a knock comes at the door.

"Come in!" I yell.

I hear the door open and Sam appears at the bathroom entrance. I look away from the mirror to look at him. He's dressed in black jeans and a nice maroon button up. His hair is gelled to the side. For shoes he has on the new pair of black dress shoes that he bought when we went shopping for today.

"Well you look nice," I stare with a big smile.

"Thank you," he says with a goofy smile and does a turn for me. He steps in and stands next to me as I go back to doing my makeup.

"You okay?" He asks. "You look like you've been crying."

I put on my best fake smile, "Yeah, I just had a moment."

He hums an understanding response.

Once my makeup is on I shoo Sam out of the bathroom so I can put on my dress.

It's a beautiful but simple, knee legnth, maroon dress that accented my figure well. My straightened gray hair was parted on the left side and came all the way down to my chest.

I stepped out of the bathroom and did a little twirl for him as he sat on my bed, gawking at me.

I can't help but blush. His eyes roamed my whole body and I knew what he was thinking.