Chapter 30

Once I enter the Pit I scan the area and spot him with a beer in his hand. I see him looking across the room and he calls out to somebody. I look to see where he's looking and see her. Tris.

He calls her over and says something and she smiles in return. Four gives a nod and then walks away. Tris lingers there for a second with a smile on her face.

I exhale loudly. I'm not even nervous about breaking up with Four, I'm just nervous for what comes after that.

I'm getting a headache just thinking about it and the music that is blaring in here isn't helping.

I'll just show up at his apartment a little later. He's not much of the partier so it shouldn't be that late.

I get back to my place and search the cabinets for some kind of pill to ease the pressure in my head. I can't find anything so I tiptoe across the hall to ask Eric.

"Hey Sophia," he smiles when the door opens.

"Hey, I was just wondering if you had anything to get rid of a headache?"

"Yeah, come on in," Eric steps aside for me. I follow him to his bathroom. He grabs a bottle and tips it over and hands me 2 little red pills.

"Thanks," I smile up at him.

He hands me a little plastic cup of water that he filled up in the sink. I down the 2 pills along with the water.

"No problem," I hand back the cup which he throws away. "So have you talked to Four?" He asks as we make our way back to the door.

I shake my head no. "I'm gonna wait til he gets back to his apartment." He nods in response. "Can you just peak out there to make sure it's clear?" I ask.

"Yeah," he chuckles. He creeks the door open and I stand to the side, out of sight. "Four," I hear him spit. I can't see what's happening but I can see Eric's face and his jaw is locked and his eyes are squinted.

"Eric," I hear Four's voice. Guessing by the results from tonight I'm guessing he has a smug smirk on his face.

Clearly Eric couldn't take it any long because he slams the door shut.

"Well that couldn't have gone any better," I mumble.

Eric just huffs and I wait a second longer to reopen the door. "I'll see ya later," I wave awkwardly walking out and back to my apartment.

"Yup, see ya," he replies.

Once Eric shuts his door I shut mine and walk down to Four's apartment. I hover my fist over the door, scared to make a move. A small layer of sweat covers my forehead and my headache didn't seem to go away.

I finally let my fist go and it knocks 3 times. I can hear a slight shuffling and then the click of the door.

When Four appears in the doorway he looks a little surprised and relieved.

"We need to talk," I say rubbing my left hand on my right middle finger out of nervousness.

He just nods and moves out of the way. I walk to the kitchen and lean against the counter.

"We've had quite some time apart," I break the silence.

"We have," he agrees.

"Four," I sigh, "I'm sure you feel the same way I do. I love you, but not in the way of a husband," His face falls but nods in understanding.

"I figured," Four nods.

"And I've seen the way you look at that initiate, Tris," I search his face and he shakes his head. "You've never looked at me that way and I don't think it's fair to either of us to trick ourselves into thinking we love each other that way."