Chapter 13

**ERIC'S POV**

I make my way through the dark halls of Dauntless and finally reach my destination. I reach for the door nob but pause when I realize I'm still smiling about this morning. I take my hand back, take a deep breath in and release it. I close my eyes and remember the night that changed me forever. I remember the douche bag who did it. I think about losing Sophia. I open my eyes, now angry, give my body a quick shake, and open the door to a room full of no more than 10 people.

"Eric!" Max greets me with a wide grin. "We've been waiting for you." I acknowledge everyone with a nod and sit down. I turn to Max and nod for him to keep going. "This morning we have decided to change up the meeting a little bit." I look at him confused but say nothing. "Eric this is John," he says as he clasps his hand on a well dressed man's shoulder. He looked about 45 and wore black and white meaning he was Candor. Ugh. Dumb smart mouths. I nod to him anyway and reach my hand to shake his extended hand.

"Nice to meet you," I mumble.

"Pleasure is all mine, Mr. Eric," he smiles.

Max motioned to the other two girls in the corner who were giving me flirtatious looks. "These two ladies are here to be witnesses for this event," I looked between everyone's smiles and started to be really confused. If there's a Candor man here that means paperwork. If there are witnesses that means big official event. Pretty girls means Max is trying to set me up. The rest of the leaders are here so it's really official.

"The hell? Are we having a wedding or something?" I half laughed thinking it was rediculous but half worried it was real. What else could be happening?

Max let out a deep laugh and said, "No, Eric. Today, we have decided to finally upgrade your position to leader. No more leader in training, just leader."

I smirked to hide the big grin that wanted to show. I've worked pretty hard for this position and now I'm getting it! Everyone in the room was clapping for me. "It's about time you've decided," I mumbled, still smirking.

"Yes. Well, we all wanted to make sure the time was right," he turned to the other leaders who all nodded their head in agreement.

"Well, thank you all," I smiled at them. Finally realizing what was happening. I got up and shook Max's hand and then Lauren's. Then I turned to Aaron and Sarah, and shook their hands. They all smiled widely at me.

"Also, we will make the announcement tonight at dinner," Aaron spoke up.

"Sounds great," I said, trying my best to keep my smirk from growing to a smile.

John motioned me to sit down next to him, so I did. He passed a couple papers my way and pointed to a couple places telling me to sign there. After I signed everything, I shook everyone's hand again. Except, while I shook the 2 girls hands, they winked at me akwardly. The brunette was very pretty but I have my own beautiful brunette at home so I just walked out when it was all done, excited to tell Sophia the good news. Later, we are going to celebrate.

***************************

I bought a bottle of champagne, flowers, and steak before returning to the apartment. I got back to my place and I walked in to find not only Sophia, but the other initiate Anna. Why is she here? It wasn't until they both looked up at me surprised that I realized Anna had tears streaking her face. Sophia whispered something to Anna and then made her way towards me. She motioned me to the kitchen so I took the signal and followed her. I set the bag of things on the counter and faced her. I tried to hide the bag from her but it didn't really matter because she didn't seem to notice it anyway.

After a couple seconds of silence she sighed heavily and said, "I know you're not happy she's here and I'm sorry. I don't know how she knew I was here but she's not doing to well today." I was confused at what she meant and I could care less about it but she's here and I probably won't have any luck with getting her to leave. She continued talking by simply saying, "She's pregnant." Now, I could care less about whether she's pregnant or not but something told me it wasn't the time to argue with Sophia.