Chapter 23

**SOPHIA'S POV**

~~1 week later

"Of course I wanna have a family and settle down someday," Four says.

"Someday?" I question.

"Well yeah. I mean I don't know if I'm ready right now," he replies. "What about you?"

I take a second to think about it. I see myself waking up to a couple of beautiful children and then I walk into the kitchen smelling eggs and bacon. I see a muscular man and when he turns around I see steel gray eyes and a smile. His neck and forearm tattoos stand out from the lack of clothing on his body. His hair glistens from what seems to be a fairly recent shower. That's when I realize it's Eric.

"Yeah. I'd like a family," I nod my head, being very vague on purpose.

"Like, someday? Or maybe pretty soon?" I swing my head to look at him in shock.

Is he thinking about starting a family with me???

It's a fairly reasonable question. I mean what's the point of a relationship if you don't think about the future. I'm sure he wants something much more.

"Well," I giggle a little thrown off, "I definitely want to be married first before anything happens but I don't know. I mean, I'll know when I know, ya know?" I laugh at how confusing that sounded.

Four chuckles and nods in understanding, "I actually think I do, Sophia." His face goes a little more serious. "I know you and Eric were engaged. What did you think about that?"

I'm a little speechless at this. Do I respond truthfully? Or do I respond to make him feel better?

"Well I think it was more of an in the moment kind of thing and I was just excited that I thought my first relationship worked out. It's silly," I lie out. I can't help it. I know I don't want to lie to Four but if I tell myself it was real and I didn't want to end it, I'll end up right back at Eric.

He nods his head. It's one of those moments where both people realize it's a lie but no one says anything about it.

"Do you still love him?" He questions.

I look down at my hands and shake my head, "I don't know," is all I can manage to say.

From the corner of my eye I can see him nod his head again and an awkward silence sits in the air.

"I know you two don't like each other and all, but today, he asked me if we could still be friends..." I trail off.

His eyes hold a little bit of anger, "What did you say?" He spits out.

"I told him you don't really like him so it'd probably be really hard."

He nods his head, "Sounds about right." My eyes fall in sadness. There is nothing more I want than to be back with him or even just around him but that just confirmed a no.

I think he notices my sadness and pulls me into a hug and kisses the side of my head. "I'm sorry Sophia, I don't want to dictate who you hang out with. That's up to you to decide. It's just, I don't trust him. All the times he made you cry, hurt you, cheated you. He never was good for you and I don't want to see you get hurt anymore."

I furrow my eyebrows in anger at his comment. "You are missing all the times he loved me and cared for me and protected me. All the times he made me feel wanted. Eric helped me through my beginning here at Dauntless and all you can see is the bad in him just like everybody else!" I screamed in rage. By the time I finished I had shoved his arms off of me and I was standing up.