Chapter 18

Last night after I fell asleep, Four woke me back up to walk me back to the dorms. He said he didn't want it to look bad or anything if he ran into someone and just had a sleeping girl in his arms.

But that's not really what's on my mind right now. Eric is. I miss him. It doesn't feel right to not be with him and call him mine. But I promised myself I wouldn't go crawling back to him. I'm stronger than that, so instead, I just keep everything inside.

I think last night was easier since it hadn't quite sunk in, but let me tell you, this morning when Eric woke us up and he didn't even look at me, it hit me like a truck.

I'm the one person Eric had actually let in and gained his trust, but I broke his heart. I didn't mean to, Eric just has too much hate and pain that sometimes, he's blinded by it.

The slightest things make him mad to the point where the only thing in his head is either revenge or alcohol. He has so much pain from his past that he doesn't know how to act when anyone loves him or shows the slightest bit compassion. Eric just needs to let go. Let go of it all and restart. But of course he's too stubborn to do that so until he figures it out, I don't want to be around him.

Four called me into the room and I sat in the familiar cold, metal chair, ready to face my fears for the third time. "Ready?" He asked. I nodded and was soon consumed by the darkness of my fears.

I opened my eyes to a dark room. Snakes. My heartbeat picked up as I felt one slither across my legs. I knew what I had to do so I waited. A screamed escaped my mouth when a sharp pain shot through my left leg. I didn't fight back though. I waited for the perfect moment. Finally, something started to slither across my face and when the middle of the snake reached my chin, I bit down. Hard. Soon I was in a desert.

We are all on the bus but something was different this time. I took a good look around and realized what. Not only is Eric here, but so is Four. Why is Four here? I barely know him.

"HEY!" I scream as my loved ones throw me off the bus. I know I can't fight back so I sit on the ground and cover my ears. I sit in pain as everyone yells at me but it's not until Eric speaks up that I'm fully listening. It's like everything around us freezes and it's just me and him. I remove my hands and listen to him in terror.

"You are right Sophia! Everything we ever had was fake! I did use you! You were foolish enough to trust me! You thought I loved you but really I was just gaining your trust to tear you down! I NEVER loved you!!!" He screamed at me.

Rage coursed through my veins. I gave an outrageous growl and started sprinting towards the bus. Eric has a smug smirk on his face which makes me run faster. I leap towards the window Eric is in and tear through the glass but when I land, I'm not in the bus. I'm in my old room.

I hear humming. "MOM?!" I called out.

"She's gone remember," my dad said from the living room. I could hear the smirk in his voice. I know he's just trying to get to me. I know she's out there somewhere. But I can't go. I can't fight the fear so I have to remain calm. I slam the door shut to drown the sounds of my dad's threats and turn off the lights. I lock the windows shut to hopefully lower the sounds of my mother's humming but it only makes it louder. I lay down in my bed and pull the covers over my head and let the humming drift me off to sleep.

I open my eyes but I'm still in my room. The humming is gone. This is a new fear. I get out of bed only to hear the sound of glass shattering. Seconds later my dad walks in with the neck of a broken beer bottle. "You know," he says, "I'm getting tired of you being around."

With that my eyes widen in fear. He's not here to beat me. He's here to kill me. The fear is quickly wiped away with anger. "No. I'm getting tired of you being around," I say through gritted teeth.