nineteen

"do you have any friends?" i ask freya as she spreads her "matte liquid lipstick"--as she calls it--over her bottom lip.

"sure." she doesn't go into further detail so i continue.

"a loner?" i ask again with humor but she rolls her eyes.

"no, cole i actually do have friends back at school." she speaks with a bored tone then puts her tiny hand mirror, and lipstick back into her tiny purse and we continue to walk through the forest.

freya's quiet and i take the sudden mood as a bad thing. my mind going into the dark piece in my mind and the thoughts of being unwanted came to thought. maybe i was bothering her and she doesn't want me here with her anymore.

freya never complains about me unless it's my cigarette smoking or drinking problem. which takes my mind further down.

"am i bothering you?" i ask and that causes freya to stop quickly. she looks at me and shakes her head, then a chuckle breathing out.

"no, of course not. why would you think that?" she ask with a smile. her face changing from boredom to  delight.

"just a random question."

"you want me to give up on you so badly but it's not gonna happen." she slaps her hands on my cheeks then smush them. "what's your full name cole?"

"cole george miller." i respond after she lets me go with a small smile. "yours?"

"freya marie lacy." she answers. her eyes danced around my face as we walk through the open forest.

"you look like an Anthony." freya laughs.

"God, no." she laughs more at my response but my lips never flutter, too busy wondering how her mood changed so quickly.