Probably Won't Be Sleeping Tonight

Start from the beginning

It was quiet and you realized the man didn't have a mouth. Were you just incredibly insensitive just now? Oh shit you didn't mean to-

"..5th and Green. Grillbys."

You gasped loudly, not even hiding how amazed you were. He talked. How..? You.. What. That was completely awesome. His voice was soft and almost muted by the crackling of his flames, but you caught it somehow. It was almost melodic.

"Thank you!" You took out your phone, and tried to turn it on. Dead. Of course it died. Your excitement immediately died down. "God dammit, now G is really going to lecture me."

The fire elemental perked up when you mentioned G, and set the glass he was cleaning down on the counter. "You know Sans- Ah, G? The skeleton?" You caught the slip up but stayed silent about it.

You were just as surprised as he was. "Oh, yeah. I actually live with him. You know him?"

"He never pays his tab."

"Oh my god, what." You laughed unexpectedly. That didn't sound like the G you knew. Then again, you didn't really know him at all. Maybe you could ask the living ball of fire? "Are you close friends?"

He shrugged. "Of a sort." You guessed that was fair. "What's your name?"

You told him and he nodded, giving his back in return. Grillby, huh? G must tease him endlessly if Grillby knew the skeleton just by the mention of him. You had learned recently that your roomie was more than familiar with jokes. Especially the pun kind.

"Well, I shouldn't uh... keep soliciting. I should get back home, uh, somehow..." You seemed hesitant to go out the door. Grillby placed a gloved hand on your shoulder, a concerned aura around him. You smiled halfheartedly. "There was this guy following me, actually... kinda why I ran in here. I just... man I'm in a mess aren't I? Dead phone, stalker, and I have no idea how to get home. I'll make it, though." You were about to get out of your seat, but the hand on your shoulder kept you in place.

Grillby seemed to be in thought before he rounded the counter. "We're closing. Time to go home," He announced, in a slightly louder voice than he was using with you. It was still moderately quiet but everyone had heard and started to disperse. Grillby looked back at you before grabbing his coat. "I can walk you. I know how to get there."

His offer worried you. "Are you sure? I have no idea if this means anything, but I'm pretty sure fire and rain don't mix.." Grillby shook his head, coat on and handing you your bag. "You don't have to worry about me, Grills. I'm fine."

"You don't have to worry about me, either." He (somehow?) smiled at you, and took out an umbrella from behind the counter. Okay, now you just felt stupid. He laughed, the cackling sound somehow making you feel warmer than before. He took out another umbrella, he explained it was for emergencies, and you two exited the building with everyone else. You were going to ask about the lights, but right as he left the bar everything went dark. Oh. Magic, you assumed.

The both of you waited for everyone to take their leave so Grillby could lock up shop before you headed for your house. It was warm and quiet while you walked, but not in an awkward way. It was almost relaxing. It felt nice to have someone by your side.

The two of you didn't say anything, none willing to break the comforting silence. There was one point where you accidentally flicked water on him and you two had stopped for a few minutes. You apologizing like crazy and Grillby trying to tell you it was fine was most of those minutes.

Before you knew it, you were at your door. Grillby was laughing at a story you had told him about you and your siblings, and you hadn't noticed you two even stopped. He had to lightly shove you forward for you to see the door in front of you.