Chapter Thirty Three

"No, no, no, that is not what I meant by stop smoking cigarettes, I didn't mean for you to pick up on marijuana cigarettes," I tried to sustain my laughter as my mother scolded Mike while we were on the phone. I know damn well that he didn't just pick up joints, shit I gave him his first one. "Hey, mom?" I interrupt their bantering. "Yes?"

"Just call me tomorrow, okay?" She didn't even say goodbye, she just hung up.

I felt a pair of hands meet my waist, slowly coming to my lower belly, playing with the waist band of my yoga pants. "Was she busy?" Harry's hot breath fanned my neck. A small smile crept on my lips, "Mike." I give a shortly reply, as I lean my head back on Harry's chest as he kisses my neck. I softly bite my lip to keep from moaning out loud. I could feel moisture building up in my panties. His fingers peeked their way into the front of my pants, underneath my underwear. I felt his fingers brush against my sensitive spot, I let out a whimper.

"Val?" The front door slammed shut, Max's voice sounded through out the house.

"Fuck," I curse, yanking Harry's hand out of my pants and running to the front door. Max had a few letters in his hand, a few snow flakes littered in his hair. "Hey, I just thought it would be a good idea and drop by. Oh and I brought you up your mail. Also, I'm in love with you," he looked me straight in the eye. I heard a gasp come from Harry's bedroom. My mouth fell open, and the room was suddenly spinning. I stumbled back a bit, Max caught my arm before I tripped. He lead me to the couch and sat me down. "Woah, are you okay?" He looked at me with worried eyes.

The tension in the room became ice thin. "Um, I, uh, I need water," I mumbled, trying to form a coherent sentence. Max nodded his head, standing from the couch, making his way to the kitchen. What. The. Hell. No, no, no, no. Shit, shit, shit, shit. Max comes back with a cup of water in his hand. I stare blankly at the wall, it's easier to look at rather at him.

As I finish the cup of water, taking rather large gulps, I slammed the cup on the coffee table. I try and catch my breath. I try and imagine that I am not sitting in that cold apartment living room but rather in my old bedroom at my mothers house. Nirvana posters litter the walls. I'm lying on my old twin size bed with my ex boyfriend, Jacob.

The circles he is tracing on my arm are starting to feel numb and sore. I flip over to the under side of my arm. His face is nuzzled in my neck, his hot breath creating a overwhelming sensation, but not a good one. It makes me anxious. My toes wiggle in my socks, as I bite my lip, tearing off little bits of skin off my lip. Radiohead is playing quietly in the background. The moment Jacob's lips attach to my neck, I flinch and my breath hitches in my throat. He lets out an irritated breath. "Baby, I told you, I'm so sorry for hurting my princess. I didn't mean to scare you. Don't be scared of me." I let a tear roll down my cheek, stinging the raw skin. I roll over quickly on my side so that he won't see it.

We sit in silence. It's a bone chilling type of silence, not comfortable in any shape or form. I inhale and exhale shakily. "Get out," I whisper. Max is stunned. "W-what?" This time my breathing became more steady. "I said.. Get out," I seethe through my teeth. "Val," Max begins. "Get out! Get out! Get out!" I shout, standing to my feet. Max quickly stumbles to his feet. Harry comes out of his bed room, his chest puffed up. He strides right over to where Max is standing. Harry's fists latch onto the collar of Max's shirt, his knuckles turning white. "What did you do? I swear to god if you laid a hand on her!" Harry screams in Max's face. "I didn't. I did nothing. I swear to god." Max stutters. My face softens and my hands unclench. "Let him go, Harry." I softly say. I look down, and pad over to my bed room. "What?" I hear Harry say after I walk away. Shortly after, I hear the front door close.

I flop down on my bed, face down. My bedroom door creaks. Weight is put on my bed as Harry lays on his back beside me. "I'm sorry," he breathes. I sit up and look at him. I run my fingers through my hair, "you have no reason to be." He props himself up on his elbows. "Val, I swear to god, I will always be there to protect you. Never will I ever let anyone or anything hurt you. If something happened to you, I think I'd lose my mind. I would blame myself for it, every fucking day, every fucking breath I take, wishing it could have been me." I let you tear run down my cheek.  "Never have I ever met someone bat shit crazier than you, nor anyone as selfless, or beautiful. And I'm not just saying 'damn she has a pretty face.' No, I'm saying every little thing you do, from the way you twitch in your sleep to the way you over think everything, is absolutely beautiful." By this time, I'm full on bawling. I throw my arms around Harry's neck, as I jump onto him. And, we stay like that.