Chapter Twenty

"What is it?" I snapped into the phone. "Valerie, I'm your mother not some telemarketer." I rolled my eyes, and excused myself from my seat at Tony's. I begin walking toward the front doors. "I know that," I gasped when the cold fall air hit my face. "I'm expecting to hear that Shane called you, yes?"

"Yes,"

"So?"

"Mom, yes he called a few days ago. Why should it matter either way?" I groaned in annoyance. "Thanksgiving is next week and aunt Alexandra will be visiting, along with Shane." I shifted my weight onto my hip. "Spit it out," I spoke patiently. "Alright. I was- we were, hoping you could maybe join?" I let out an agitated sigh. "I have to go. I'll see what I can do." I ended the phone call, exhaling a large breath. I looked to my right, a guy sat on the curb with a cigarette in between his lips. "You got another one?" I sat next to him.

He looked young, clean, and attractive, if I might add. He looked over at me, a small smile tugged at his lips. He nodded before taking out a carton of cigarettes, placing one in my palm. "I'm Brandon," his raspy voice finally spoke up. "I like that name," I complimented. "Usually, you would tell me your name in return. But thank you."

"I'm Valerie, and you're welcome." Brandon smiled, his cheeks flushing. "Stop, you're making me blush." I laughed, "I have that effect on people." We continued smoking our cigarettes, while laughing. I rubbed the butt of my cigarette into the pavement. "Can I buy you a beer?" Brandon helped me up. I furrowed my brows, "um, sure." He gave me a small smile and lead us inside. We walked to the counter with his hand tugging at my wrist. I felt awkward and unsure of what to do.

"Two beers," Brandon spoke to the man behind the counter. I gave him a small smile. "Wow, they didn't check me for I.D." He shook his head, smiling. "Around campus they allow underage drinking, as long as it's supervised. We are a weird university." I slipped my wrist from his soft grip. "Sure are, I remember." Confusion traced my features. "What do you mean?" He opened his mouth, then closed it. "I graduated last year." I nodded at the new information. "So how old are you?" I couldn't help but ask. "Twenty three."

Oh. I looked back at my group of friends. No one seemed to notice me, except Harry.
"Interesting," I nodded along. A opened beer bottle was soon placed infront of me. Brandon sipped on his beer, watching me take a rather large gulp. It's not like I haven't ever been involved with an older guy. Usually, he'd only be like a year older than me. This guy was twenty three, and he is a grad. Older guys want a woman, which I refuse to commit as one. I'm young, and a woman, just not your everday woman. I sound horrendous.

"Is that your boyfriend? Cause he is sure is mad doggin' me." Brandon suddenly spoke up. I squinted at whom he was pointing at. His finger landed on Harry, who was giving Brandon the evil eye. "No, just a... protective.. friend." I was stumped looking to find the right words. "Protective is one way to put it." Brandon scoffed. "Come meet them, as in my friends." I grabbed ahold of his wrist, my beer in my other grip.

He followed me to the booth with all my friends seated there. They all looked up at us, then at my hand wrapped around his wrist. I quickly dropped it. "This is Brandon." They all smiled and introduced themselves, except Harry, of course. Instead, Harry stood up and walked over to us. He interlocked our hands, in which I couldn't pull away. "I'm Harry, her boyfriend." He placed a kiss on my temple. For some unknown reason, I didn't pull away. "Oh, well hello." Brandon smirked at me. "Brandon, I-" I began but he shook his head. "No, it's cool. You just didn't need to lie, is all, darling." Brandon shrugged, sipping his beer. "I wasn't," I spoke, untangling our hands.

"Will someone tell me what in the hell is going on?" A familiar voice spoke up from behind me. I turned to see a smirking Louis. He had a long cut along his right cheekbone. He opened his arms widely with a small smile. I grinned, giving him a friendly hug. "I'd like to know as well." Lilly's voice chimed in once I pulled away from Louis. "I'd have to third that," Max grumbled.

"Nothing, fuck." I snapped quickly. Liam and Niall appeared behind Louis. "Lovely to see you again, Valeria." Liam approached me, in a wrong way. "It's-" I began but Niall cut me off. "It's Valerie, dumb ass. Anyways, it's nice to see you." Niall warmly spoke, embracing me in a hug. I squirmed, just a bit.

What an awkward situation.

°A/N°
Don't forget to vote and comment. (: