41. Battle of the "Heroes"

Start from the beginning

"Don't tempt me."

"You're not killing him, Dean. We can help him. Take him in. Isn't that what you and Sam have done before? Think about Kevin, a-and those people you've taken in—"

"They're all gone, Jo. They're friends. He is part of the family that killed Charlie."

"Dean." I've got my hands out. "Put the gun down."

"Let me do this."

"No. This isn't you talking, it's the Mark. The Dean Winchester I know would try and help this kid!"

"Josette—"

"This isn't you. You need to snap out of this and think." My body shakes.

"S-she's right," the kid says in a shaky voice behind me. "Y-you don't have to do this."

Dean contemplates it for a long minute, using the hand that holds the gun to scratch the side of his head. I'm prepared to throttle Dean. He needs to let me end this kid myself.

"Yeah," says Dean quietly. "I do."

I lunge as Dean shoots. The bullet catches me in the shoulder, and I fall at Dean's feet. Before I can react, I hear one more shot go off. I'm screaming as the boy falls like a downed tree to the floor. I grab at my wounded shoulder.

"You...you fucking asshole," I whisper lethally as I stagger to my feet. "You didn't have to do that!"

"I did, Jo."

I look back at the boy with the bullet in his forehead. "Are you happy now, huh?" I retort to my older brother. "You murdered the Styne bloodline. Congratulations, Dean. You beat me to the thing that I wanted to do! You could've at least let me take the kid and kill him in my own way! You could've at least let me tag along so this wouldn't have happened! I would bring Charlie out to celebrate, but, oh wait, I can't."

"Don't talk about her like that."

"What did murdering the Stynes accomplish? She's not coming back, Dean! Did the Mark tell you to wipe out an entire bloodline, hmm?"

"You need to back off."

"No, I don't."

"What was your reasoning for killing the Stynes, then, Jo, huh? Explain that one to me."

"They're menaces that needed to die."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you wanted them dead to cover your tracks."

I roll my eyes. "He was feeding you bullshit, Dean. I didn't kill Charlie."

"I don't know, Jo. It's hard to believe what you do anymore." He sighs. "I was hoping this day would never come."

"What day?"

"When I'd have to put down my own little sister. But I'm not sure that you're even her anymore. All I see when I look at you is a demon."

"You wanna know what I see when I look at you now? An asshole." I crack my neck. "You want to fight, Dean? Let's go. One last round. You want to kill me? Go ahead and do your damn best!"

Dean charges, and I hit him with the angel blade across the face. I snarl, flashing my black eyes to him. The hype in my veins fuels me, and I don't feel like using any demonic power here. I want to win this with strength alone. He doesn't believe in me anymore, fine. I'll give him a reason to fear me.