41. Battle of the "Heroes"

"Dean," I whisper through red lips.

"Well there he is," says the older Styne, smirking. "I hope you brought marshmallows."

"Been looking for you," says Dean gruffly.

"Oh yeah? Why is that? Oh wait. You're not still sore about um, what's her name?"

"Charlie. Her name was Charlie."

"Yeah, well. Chuckie, she got what she deserved. I got to wonder...Who do you believe killed her? Me, or your so-called ally over here?" He points the angel blade in my direction. "I mean, the thought has to have crossed your mind once. Your demon friend...she let her die. Question is: who's more of the villain? Me or her?"

"You. A-always you," I rasp.

"Says a fellow monster."

"Shut up," says Dean.

"Straight to it, then. I respect that. See, you got lucky before. This time, I'm sporting some new upgrades. See, my old man—"

"Your old man's dead. They're all dead. So you can save me the speech on the three hearts, the two spleens, the seven nipples, for the ladies...or the fellas, I don't judge. But even with all that, you still only have one brain."

"So?"

Before anyone can comprehend it, Dean draws a gun and shoots the Styne square in the forehead. The body drops, and the younger Styne is now on the verge of tears. I rise, feeling slight burning, and retrieve my blade from the corpse. The kid looks at me. End him. Dean killed two of the three. Take this one.

"No, no, no, no, no, don't!" the kid pleas. "Don't!"

"Why not? You're one of them," says Dean.

"No. No, I'm not! Okay, I hate my family! See, look!" The kid pulls up his shirt. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. "No stitches! I'm not like them, I promise."

"Oh, you are like them. There's bad in you. It's in your blood. Now you can deny it and you can run from it all you want, but that bad...will always win."

The kid is shaking his head, tears glistening. "I'll do anything you want. Okay, please. You don't need to do this. Please. Stay away from me!"

"Hey," I say softly. "I'm not the one you need to be afraid of here."

"S-stay away!"

"Is it the eyes, kid?" I revert them back to their original color. "Listen, he's not gonna hurt you."

"The hell I'm not," Dean snarls.

"Dean," I say warningly.

"Jo, back away from the kid."

I put myself even further between Dean and the kid. "No."

"He's got bad blood, Jo. He's a monster."

"He hasn't done anything! Look at him! He's not one of them!" Come on, Dean. Back off. Let me take the twerp and finish him in my own way. Catch on and see that, you dumbass.

"Not yet. Bloodlines catch up in the end. He'll be just like them. I'm not asking again. Get out of the way."

I step forward. "Make. Me."