21.5 - "Good? Bad? I Think I'll Just Settle for Balanced."

21.5 – "Good? Bad? I Think I'll Just Settle for Balanced."

Our trip back to the bunker was me explaining my story to Charlie. It distracted her from the pain long enough for her to make it back conscious with us. We had her patched up when we got back.

It's been two days since Charlie has become herself again. I figure it's time for Cas to get updated. I'm surprised when he answers.

"I was beginning to think you were avoiding me," I tease half-heartedly.

"How's Dean?"

I swallow. "Yeah, he's, uh, he's better." I run my hand through my hair as I slowly pace the bunker library. I eye my older brother, who's at the table, doing research. "I mean, he's calmed down now. Cas, we got to—we got to find Cain, or...We got to find something, you know?"

"We'll keep looking. Keep an eye on him."

"Right. Yeah." I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Cas?"

"Yes?"

"I'm...sorry. For, uh, what happened with us."

"It's, uh, it's all right, Josette."

"You sure?"

"Yes, don't worry about it."

"If you're sure..."

"Keep me updated when you can, all right?"

I chuckle. "You got it. I'll talk to you later." I hang up to see Charlie, her arm in a sling, enter the library. "Hey. Uh, shouldn't you be resting up?"

"I think sleeping for two days in a row is probably enough."

I smile.

"So...are you...?" asks Sam.

"Good? Bad? I think I'll just settle for balanced. Anything about the Mark?"

"Yeah, maybe. I found this book. It's a lore book—'The Book of the Damned.'"

"Sounds legit."

"It's in a library somewhere in Tuscany. It might be a dead end, but I figured..."

"I'll go check it out."

I look at Charlie. "Whoa—"

"Look, there's no going back to Oz. And with the Wizard gone, Dorothy will be fine."

"So, does this mean no more adventure?"

"I think we have all the adventure we can handle right here."

"What about—?" Sam tries.

"Dark Charlie? She's, uh...Quiet. I just got to keep moving forward. We all do." Charlie goes to Dean, interrupting his study session.

Dean looks at her softly. "Charlie, I..."

"We are going to fix this," she says. "I'm not letting what happened to me happen to you."

"But it's already happened."

"Cain found a way to live with it," Sam pipes.

"Right. Yeah, after centuries of murder."

"Yeah, well, there's one thing that you have that he didn't," Charlie says. "You're a Winchester. I forgive you, Dean."

"Yeah, well, I don't."

"I know. Kind of your move. How's that working out for you, huh?"

"I'm so sorry, kiddo."

"Then prove it."

It's proven with a hug. Charlie hugs Sam afterwards. She looks at me apprehensively.

"Hey, I know I'm the thing people fear, but I'm doing well," I say lightly, opening my arms out. "Come here." We do an awkward hug, so I don't try and hurt her one arm. I ruffle her hair. "Sorry I, uh, freaked you out."

"It's, uh, fine." Charlie rubs her neck. "I've seen worse."

I chuckle. "Be careful out there."

"Does that sound like either of me? If I find something, I'll call. If not...I'll just keep digging."

"Charlie, thank you," Sam says sincerely.

"Arrivederci, bitches."

I smile as Charlie leaves up the stairs, out of the bunker. I turn back to my brothers, exchanging looks with them. "You good?" I ask Dean.

"No."

"She's right, Dean," says Sam. "You can do this. We can do this."

"Then let's get to work."