24. Hansel and...Nope, just Hansel

We've parked the Impala at the witch's house. The three of us are armed with flashlights.

"Looks like someone's home," I say, noticing a light on inside the house.

"Okay. Let's go in through the basement," says Dean. "Get Tina out first."

It turns out Dean isn't the only one who's been reverted back to their teenage self. Apparently, I was partially right. Dean had been talking to a woman at the bar. I'm sure neither of them expected their night to go like this.

Dean leads Sam and me around the house. Along the way, we pass a group of yarrow flowers growing on one side of the house.

"Still open," says Dean once we find the window that he'd previously escaped through. He goes to it, lifting it. "Tina?" We get no answer. "All right, let's go."

"Dean," says Sam, gesturing to the window, "I'm way too big to fit into that."

"Look, I may be slim, but I'm not teenage-boy slim," I say.

Dean smirks at us both. "First time you ever had to say that, huh?"

I roll my eyes. "Big talk coming from the dude wearing underoos."

"Okay, good one. Here, why don't you two go around back for another way in?"

Nodding, Sam and I branch off while Dean slips in through the window. Sam and I find our way in after getting through one of the other windows in the house. I wrinkle my nose, getting my feelers out. Doesn't seem like anyone's up here with us.

"Keep an eye out," I mutter.

"Always do."

We make our way to the basement, which feels musty and damp. Up ahead, I hear the scuffle before Sam does. I brandish a baton, running ahead, to see a figure holding my older brother in a chokehold. I sneak up behind him, whacking him over the head. He releases Dean, falling to the floor. Dean quickly gets up, being with Sam and me.

"Don't!" I say, as my brothers have guns brandished at the figure.

"Where's the girl?" asks Dean.

"Upstairs," says the figure. "Alive."

"What did you do to us?"

"Nothing. I'm no witch. I just work for one."

I scoff. "Crappy gig. Where is he?"

"She. And she is the worst person in the world."

"Is that so?"

"I've been with her for centuries. Things I've seen her do. My sister and I, she made us hurt people, kill people, and when we tried to escape, she caught us and tortured me." He gestures to his mutilated face. "And then she made me eat poor Gretel's heart."

"Wait," says Sam. "Witch? Gretel?" He scoffs. "What, are you saying that you're...?"

"Hansel. My name is Hansel."

"Hansel? And—and...and Gretel. Hansel and Gretel, like the—like the fable. Like Brothers Grimm?"

Hansel stands up. "It wasn't a fable. It was based on a true story. They just gave it a happy ending."