31. Pizza, Booze, and Truth or Dare

Cas and I don't pursue Metatron, as we have been given no clues in that hunt. So, our only option is to head back to the bunker, which we do. I take shotgun in Cas's car, and he drives with one hand, with the other wrapped around mine.

"Welcome back, guys," Sam greets us as we walk down the stairs.

"Well, what news do you want first?" I ask Sam. "Because we've got each."

"Uh, bad, I guess."

"Metatron escaped. He led us to Cas's Grace, but the little weasel ran off before we had a shot of tracking him down. He also took the Demon Tablet with him, whatever that is. Good news is, Cas is back." I pat him on the shoulder. "So, uh, what did we miss?"

Sam recounts the latest events: Charlie has found the Book of the Damned, although she was pursued and nearly killed because of it. She reached out to Sam and Dean, thinking that the book may be the key to helping Dean out. Dean had a run-in with Rowena, and apparently the Mark of Cain is a curse. So, that's a great development. Not.

Charlie had to go into hiding until my brothers could reach her. They found out that this family called the Stynes felt they were entitled to be the book's owners, and those were the people who were after Charlie. The Book of the Damned is in code (naturally, because nothing is ever easy with us). Dean tried to persuade Charlie and Sam that the book was only going to do more harm than good for us with the Mark. After an encounter at a store thanks to Dean, the Stynes tracked him back to the cabin where Charlie and Sam were. Long story short, the book had to be burned.

"Well, damn, I wish I had been there to help out," I say to Sam. "I could've been useful. They sound like tough sons-of-bitches. Um, hey, speaking of Dean and Charlie, where'd they run off to?"

"They went to grab food and drinks."

"Ah." I notice Cas's uncomfortable gaze. "What is it, Cassie?"

"I was foolish, selfish," he mutters. "Should've just killed him. Who knows what he'll do with that tablet."

"Well, you know what? You got your Grace back. You're back. You did the right thing."

"You did the right thing," Cas says to Sam. "That book needed to be destroyed. We will find another way, Sam."

"We're back, bitches!"

Cas and I turn to find Charlie hopping down the stairs with two plastic bags. Charlie stops, noticing Cas.

"Whoa! Is that who I think it is?"

"Charlie, Cas," I say. "Cas, Charlie." I step away as Charlie hugs Cas, and I can't help but laugh a little.

"I thought you'd be shorter." She sets the bags on the table.

"I'm gonna get these to the fridge," says Sam, who takes the bags.

"Heard you got your mojo back."

"Yes, my—my Grace, it's—it's been restored," Cas says.

"So, can't you just—you know...cure Dean?"

"Unfortunately, it's not that simple."

"Oh. Never is, is it? Do you think you could do something about my carpal tunnel?" Cas puts two fingers to Charlie's forehead. "Is that it?"