27. Bait and Trap

27. Bait and Trap

It's the dead of night, and the four of us have driven to a farm. The storm's coming, we can all feel it. But when it's gonna hit, we can't predict just yet.

When we get to the place, Cas goes to make sure the kid hasn't been taken by Cain yet. Meanwhile, I hang back with Sam and Dean, biting down on my thumbnail.

"Kid here?" I ask Cas as he comes back.

"He's nearby. Upstairs in the barn. He's playing with a basketball."

"Cain will strike soon," says Dean. "Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, but soon. And when he does..."

"Yeah, I got it," Sam deadpans. "You charge in with the Blade solo. And the kid? What, we just watch and wait until Cain attacks? I thought this was a rescue mission."

"We save the kid after Cain shows."

"We know what he's after," I say. "That's our only advantage."

"A twelve-year-old as bait. I can't believe what I'm hearing."

"Neither can I."

The four of us turn and are greeted by Crowley. He approaches us.

"What's the matter, Crowley? You suddenly grow a conscience? Too good to put a minor in danger?" Dean says.

"Don't give a damn about the kid. I'm talking about the risk to us." He gives me a rather odd look.

"Oh, right, yeah, you wouldn't recognize me," I say. "Meat-suit and all. It's your friend 'Josie'." I wrinkle my nose.

"My, my, someone's had a makeover." His brown eyes squint. "How'd you get out, Josie?"

"None of your concern."

"Not too many escape, I hope you realize that."

"Well, if anyone could, it might as well be a Winchester. By the way, you're not here to welcome me back as a creature like you. You're here for one reason. That's to hand Dean the Blade."

"Yeah, about that. Seeing as this is shaping up to be one of those, uh, two-step capture then kill kind of deals, I think you'd agree it's best to keep the Blade out of your brother's hands until we've got Cain sewn up, just to be safe. Now, back to this plan of yours."

"We'll get him trapped upstairs in the barn," I say. "Once we get him there, we'll figure out what's next."

"Oh, and how do you suppose we get Cain upstairs?"

"The kid." I cross my arms. "But, it's gonna require some magic on your part. We get him hidden somewhere safe. We lure Cain with the magically-conjured kid. He won't know the difference."

"For our sakes, we hope that he won't."

"Let's get this started. Crowley, Cas, with me."

"Boy, someone grew a brass pair while in Hell, didn't she?" I hear Crowley mutter.

We enter the barn, which is massive and empty. I can hear the kid playing upstairs. I gesture for Crowley and Cas to hang back while I go up.

Austin doesn't realize I'm there right away, not until his basketball bounces and rolls my way. He stops, and I see the fear in his eyes.