4. Back in Black

4. Back in Black

Night has blanketed the world by the time Castiel, Hannah, and I come to our destination. At first, I think it's a ruse, that the angels have brought me to a clearing to murder me and cover their tracks. I mean, a clearing has no witnesses except the victim and the killers.

But, when we stop the car, I notice we're at some sort of hidden bunker. Bouncing moonlight off of its roof and hood is a beautiful 1967 black Chevrolet Impala.

I wince as my head pushes memories in my face. I remember that car in my last life. I was always in the backseat, I never really drove it a lot.

"Stay here," Castiel tells Hannah. He looks into the mirror at me. "You're with me."

Rolling my eyes, I climb out of the car, shutting the door. I pull out the batons and keep them at my side. I look towards the hidden bunker. "So, the rundown?"

"There's a bit of a situation in there." We start walking for the hidden stairs. "My friend can't handle it on his own. His brother is trying to kill him."

"Well, gee, what'd he do? Steal his brother's girlfriend?"

"It's a long story. His brother is a demon, and he's trying to cure him. He asked for my help, hence the drive here."

"So, what do you want me to do exactly? I don't know these guys you're talking about." We hop down the steps.

"We'll figure that out once we see the situation inside."

Castiel leads us into the bunker, through a small hall before another door. I gasp, pushing myself against the wall as my vision is suddenly full of red. I grit my teeth. Nothing but pained screaming. The sounds of torture. Was I tortured in Hell? I would be shocked if I hadn't been.

"Are you okay?" Castiel's voice sounds like it's in a tunnel.

"No," I hiss.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to move past whatever this is. This doesn't look good."

I chuckle. "What gave that away, Einstein? The silence or the red in the room?"

"All right, it looks like we'll have to split up. Should you run into someone, if you can see his true face, you'll know which one is the demon. Don't kill him, keep him contained. Don't hurt the human you see."

I nod. "I guess if I make a wrong move, you'll smite me, Castiel?"

He frowns. "I hope it doesn't come to that."

"Why are you putting blind trust in me anyway?"

I know what's going on, I know how I want to respond, but I can't. For some reason, I let it happen. His answer is kissing me, which is the last thing I expected.

I wince in pain as something comes to me. I've been in this situation before, but not in this body. But I've already established that this isn't my born body. And to make things even stranger, apparently this isn't my first kiss with Castiel.

I don't know what startles me more: Castiel's kiss or whatever just happened. I look at the angel in slight horror as he lets me go. His eyes watch me expectantly, waiting for something from me. I don't know what I saw. Is it even right?

I slap Castiel so hard across the face I'm surprised I don't take his head off. I wipe my mouth.

"Don't ever do that again," I warn him sagely. "Next time, off goes your head."