Thirty Eight

O.o

Harry writhes in bed, unable to find a comfortable position. Restlessness consumes him, and despite his efforts, he can't shake off the discomfort. The morning begins on a sour note, the absence of warmth and companionship leaving him cold and isolated. The empty space beside him feels vast and lonely, devoid of the usual tenderness—no gentle cuddles, no soothing strokes, no steady heartbeat to anchor him. It's a stark departure from the usual mornings, and Harry feels adrift in the solitude of his bed.

This must be why he feels so restless; he never slept well alone.

"Louis?" he murmurs wearily, rolling onto his back and squinting his eyes open slightly. Sitting up, he rubs the sleep from his face, his nose scrunching as he surveys the room and realizes he's alone. "Louis?" he calls out once more, reaching out to the empty space beside him.

With no response forthcoming, Harry decides to rise from bed. Immediately, he feels the urge to visit the bathroom, so he hurries off to the en suite. After attending to his needs, he freshens up at the sink, brushing his teeth and pulling his hair into a bun. The apartment is unusually quiet, a departure from their usual morning routine. Typically, it's Louis who lingers in bed, reluctant to wake up, unless he has football. However, Harry is quite certain that Chelsea has the day off, leaving him puzzled as to why Louis isn't in bed beside him.

There had to be a valid reason why Louis wasn't there, as it was unusual behavior for him. Harry knew Louis wasn't with Jay, as they had spoken recently and Jay had mentioned taking the girls on a trip, excluding Louis from those plans. Since Chelsea had the day off, football couldn't be the reason either. Harry considered the possibility that Louis might have gone to the stadium alone, but he would have expected him to leave a note or inform him in some way. The morning felt unsettling, especially considering they hadn't argued recently or experienced anything that would explain Louis's sudden absence.

Harry lets out a heavy sigh as he emerges from the bathroom, ready to get dressed. The recent drop in temperature has prompted him to dig out his cozy clothes to combat the chill, although his pregnancy already makes him feel like a walking furnace. Opting for the maternal leggings his mother gave him, he pairs them with a fluffy, oversized jumper for added warmth. Once dressed, he returns to the bedroom and sits on the edge of the bed, reaching for his phone charging on the nightstand. However, before he can compose a message to check on Louis, a notification pops up—a reminder for the day.

Today is the anniversary of Mark's passing—Louis's father. Damn.

That might explain this strange morning—the reason why Louis wasn't in bed when Harry woke up and why the apartment felt unusually quiet. Reflecting back to when they first started dating, Harry recalls how he had set a reminder in his phone for this day, ensuring that he could do whatever he could to support Louis through it. He remembers the first time the anniversary came up, even before they officially started dating, when Louis had called him from the stadium seeking comfort. It was their first sleepover at this apartment, and ever since then, Harry has made it a priority to remember and honor the day, aiming to make it a little easier for Louis.

Last year, they were going through a rough patch around this time when the reminder of Mark's passing came up. But as far as Harry remembers, Louis had Liam and Zayn by his side, so he wasn't alone. There weren't any sensational articles that popped up, indicating that he must have managed the day just fine without him. However, in the years before last, they had always faced this day together. This year, though, Harry forgot—it slipped his mind. Louis probably woke up this morning feeling upset and had to leave the apartment to distract himself from the significance of the day. He likely didn't want to burden Harry with his emotional turmoil, especially given his pregnancy. It's something Louis would do—bottle up his own struggles and emotions to spare Harry from having to carry that weight.