You Can't Fight Destiny

We had a toast because we finally took over my dad's company. Then someone knocked on the door.
"Come in," Dad said. A middle-aged Italian woman in a housekeeping uniform looked in.
"Chairman Schema?" She asked. I almost laughed.
"Mr. Schema doesn't live here anymore," Dad said.
"I'm your new boss. Is it just you?" He asked.
"Yes, sir." She answered.
"What is your name?"
"My name is Patrizia." She said. That names fun to say. Patrizia. Patrizia. Patrizia. Patrizia.
"Okay, Patrizia, you'd better call for help. This room reeks of Schema. I want you to disinfect it-I want it scrubbed from top to bottom. I want you to change my linens, rugs, and towels, in short, I want you to sterilize or replace every piece of fabric, including drapes. You may begin by removing Mr. Shcema's personal belongings from the closets and drawers." The maid looked confused.
"Where shall I take the chairman's things?"
"He is no longer the chairman and you are not to refer to him by that title anymore. Do you understand?"
"Yes, sir." She said. She looked scared. Man, I love it when my dad is intimidating.
"I don't care what you do with his personal artifacts."
Dad rubbed his chin, then said, "No, actually, I do. Throw them overboard. I don't like clutter, and he won't be needing them anymore."
"Everything, sir?"
"Everything. Now call your colleagues and get to work. I want you done and out of my room in two hours. A minute longer and you'll spend the night with the former chairman in the brig. Do you understand?"
"Yes, sir."
"Very well. Get to it." Dad turned back. He took another drink.
"Quentin, I want you to make sure everyone's accommodations are acceptable."
"Yes, sir."
"Go to it. When you're done, report to me on the forward deck." Quentin stood.
"Yes, sir."

The maid had already called the rest of the housekeeping crew and was working frantically, piling the linens in the center of the room. Dad smiled to see her so motivated. He grabbed the bottle of Scotch and walked to the door. He turned back to the frantic woman.
"One hour, fifty-eight minutes, Patrizia. I've set a timer. I will be back then. Hopefully, you won't be escorted out by one of my guards."
"Yes, sir," she said, too frantic even to look at him. I followed dad out the room.

Dad took the elevator to the bridge level and walked out onto the deck, the smell of sea spray filled my nose. It was the calmest I've ever felt ever since I was stuck with Vey. Dad sat down near the bow, kicking his feet up on the chair next to him. He lifted the bottle of Scotch and took a swig, then set the bottle down next to the chair. We had been there for about thirty minutes when Quentin walked out to him. "Everyone is happy with their room, sir."
"Where is Torstyn?"
"He's in his room."
"Very well," Dad said. He was still looking out over the water.
"Q?"
"Yes, sir."
"Have you ever read the Bible?"
Quentin's brow furrowed. "No, sir. It wasn't allowed at the academy."
"That's a shame." He turned to Quentin.
"It's fabulous fiction, really. Hogwash, of course, rubbish and drivel. But, every now and then, the writers got it right. Did you know that it prophesies of us?"
"I didn't know that, sir."
"Two millennium ago they wrote of our day." Dad looked back out over the water.
"And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads a blasphemous name. Now the beast, which I saw, was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion."
"The dragon gave the beast his power, his throne, and great authority. And all the world marveled and followed the beast." Dad continued.
"So they worshipped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, 'Who is the beast? Who is able to make war with him? And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation. And all who dwell on the earth will worship him...." Dad took another drink from the bottle, then turned back toward Quentin.
"The seven heads and ten horns, the number seventeen, represents the seventeen electric children. And the dragon gave them their power, as I have given yours. Just as I will give you thrones and great authority. And the people of this world shall fear you and they shall worship me." He smiled. "By the time they know who we are, it will be too late." He laughed.
"I'm rather prosaic tonight, wouldn't you say?"
"Yes, sir," Quentin said.
"Or maybe I'm just drunk." Quentin looked down.
"About the seventeen. What of the others?"
"The other Glows? They'll come around," he said.
"Eventually. Even Michael Vey. If I have learned one thing from life, is that you can't fight destiny." Quentin bit down on his cheek. "Yes, sir. Do you need anything else, sir?"
"To be left alone," Dad said. Dad turned to me.
"All of you." He smiled.
"Okay, father." I said, joining Quentin inside.