The Exams Begin Part 1

A/N:  Thanks to all of those who’ve reviewed, especially from my Wattpad. Was kind of disappointed in the lack of reviews from FanFiction, but thanks Fantomfaire for reviewing! Please keep the updates coming. Sorry it took me so long to release this chapter, I officially started back at work again. I’ll try to update as much as possible.  

Chapter 16: The Exams Begin Part 1

Cassidy glanced at her phone, then looked down at the pasta congealing on the plate in front of her. When the waiter had dropped it on her table thirty-five minutes ago, Cassidy picked up the silver fork and made an attempt to eat a little of it.

It wasn’t the quality of the food that was turning Cassidy’s stomach. She’d eaten at Caffe Bella several times since it opened, and the Spaghetti and other various pastas were always to die for.

Cassidy looked back at her phone and sighed heavily. Shawn hadn’t called her in over a week and she was beginning to wonder if there was anything still going on between them. Even though he acted like a self-centered asshole that night back at his apartment, she forgave him.

All she wanted now was to hear his voice, to have him hold her and reassure her everything was going to be okay, even if it was a lie. She needed him, now more than ever. The DEA’s BAT and PTT had been moved up. The psychical training exam had been scheduled for the following morning and she was nothing more than a nervous wreck.

Cassidy looked at her phone again. He wasn’t going to call.

It was time to head home. She checked all the tables in the restaurant, in case Shawn had slipped behind one while she was staring at her food, but she was the only customer.

Cassidy slid out along her bench, then grabbed her wallet and left a small tip at the table before walking out of the restaurant.  

~ANTIQUITY~

Shawn glanced at his phone, then looked down at the popcorn shrimp and clam strips the waiter had just deposited on his table. The smell of perfectly fried seafood filled his senses and made his stomach growl.

He’d taken a seat at Shindokdo, only because it gave him a clear view of the small Italian restaurant across the street, a clear view of where she was sitting.

He’d chosen the first thing he saw on the menu and didn’t expect to eat any of it, having polished off a burger and fries at the diner where she had once worked, somehow expecting to see  her there. But now that the food was here, there was no way he was going to leave a speck behind.

Shawn sighed deeply and picked up his phone, flipping it open. He pressed the center button, accessing the main menu and scrolled through his contacts until he stopped at her name.

He pressed it, displaying her number across his screen. He sighed once more, then hit the send button. After the first ring he quickly flipped his phone shut. He couldn’t do it.

Shawn didn’t want to admit it. But he was a coward. He screwed up their relationship significantly and wanted to fix it, but didn’t know how. He loved her, more than any other woman he’d ever been with. How could he have been so selfish? How could he have expected her to just drop everything for him?

A small gasp escaped his lips as he saw her slide out of her booth. Shawn quickly scrawled his name across the bottom of the credit card slip the waitress must have placed on the table while he was staring through the window and stood up. 

He was appallingly bad. By the time she was halfway to her car, Shawn was considering jumping up and down screaming Cassidy’s name, just to see if she’d notice that.  Even when Shawn hopped on his bike, Cassidy didn’t look around to see him.