Chapter 49 (Finale)

• Dedicated to Everyone who has read. Thank you.

Chapter 49

Three Months Later

Alix.

Summer was coming to a close. I hadn't seen everyone together since J.L's party and prom night. Since then, I've just seen Jacob, of course, Rayan from time to time, and J.L. I make sure that I keep J.L around, seeing as though he needs the company. Jacob and I haven't really gotten anymore serious than we are as of now, and I'm fine with taking things slow... J.L and I have become close over the months. I keep him around because he makes me laugh and his innocence about certain topics warms my heart. Sometimes, I think of the way Craig used to smile at me, and I often see myself smiling at J.L the same way. I admire his positive attitude toward everything...

As of now, we were all pretty much settled in our colleges. Though most of us all go to the same college, there are about 5,000 students here-- if not more-- and we don't see each other at all.. I room in a co-ed dorm just to make sure that I kept a dorm room close to J.L's just so I could check on him often. Jacob stays on a different floor along with Rayan. Zendaya is my roommate, seeing as though we got to choose our own roommates. Chres and Imani have their own apartment on campus. Justine and Daniel decided to head out to New York for college. Everything seems to be going well with everyone, but I miss us all being together...

At the moment, I had no classes and I was wasting my time by lying on my bed and listening to music. There was a knock on my door. "Come in," I spoke, pausing my music. J.L walked in with a smile. "Jay!" I smiled as he quickly walked up to me. He hugged me tightly. I hadn't seen him in a few days, so I had missed him, and I know he was probably a bit lonely without me there. "Alix!" he cheered before kissing my cheek. "What have you been up to?" he inquired. "Nothing... I just miss us all being together," I spoke as we sat on my bed. "You should do something about it," he nudged me. "Like what?" I asked. He smiled slightly before reaching for my phone. "What are you doing?" I inquired. "Calling everyone... We're going to have ourselves a kickback," he smirked...

A couple of hours later, we were all on the beach. It was just how it was at the beginning of last summer with the exception of Craig and Zendaya being somewhere skateboarding and Rayan being distraught over Imani. J.L was more than stoked once he saw everyone. He hugged everyone and just seemed so happy and carefree... Now, I think we all know something's off about J.L. I mean, everyone's got a story as to why they are the way that they are, but it seems that J.L's story is just about to unravel... But, unlike how I was last summer, he's a good kind of off, if that makes any sense... "Alix!" he called to me just before I went under water. I swam to him before I popped up from the water, right in front of him. He looked a bit surprised before beginning to laugh. "Alix... I just want to thank you for everything," he spoke. I smiled slightly at him before he looked down, his shy smile still lingering on his face.

"Hey," he abruptly looked up at me. "I'll race you to the shore," he smiled before beginning to swim. "No fair! You started early!" I smiled before I dove in after him. While underwater, I caught up to him before he pulled me close to him. I smiled slightly at him before he kissed me on my lips. After the quick peck, we surfaced from underwater. "What was that for?" I asked. "It was just my thank you," he answered. We floated where we were for a moment before he looked down. "I'm just gonna go," he spoke before continuing toward the shore. I looked around, seeing on my far left how much fun Chres and Imani were having.  I looked forward, at the shore, to see Zendaya and Rayan joking around... "Where's Jacob?" I thought. I swam toward the shore and treaded the water the rest of the way, arriving a few moments after J.L did. "Do you guys know where Jacob is?" I inquired. "Right here," a voice spoke behind me. I turned to see him with a milkshake in hand... It reminded me of when Prod and I went to a secluded area after he got me a milkshake and kissed me on the cheek for the first time... I smiled slightly. "Enjoy," Jacob spoke, handing the shake to me...

The sun began to set as we made a fire and sat around it, beginning to reminisce. "No, remember that brawl Chres and Craig had on the rooftop?" Zendaya smiled. We all began laughing as Chresanto groaned with a slight smile. "Man, Craig was kicking my ass," Chresanto began to chuckle. "Remember when Z. was addicted to skateboarding?" Rayan spoke. We instantly began laughing. "Chres was blown off multiple times because of that!" Imani laughed. "Tell me about it," he jokingly snarled. "No, you guys! Remember that picture we took our sophomore year. The one with Alix on Ray's back, and Justine and Jacob in the front like wanna-be thugs?" Imani smiled. "Oh, yeah! Such fond memories," Rayan sighed with a smile. "Remember when..." the reminiscing continued as I looked over at J.L, who looked absolutely delighted with the conversation. I smiled slightly... "Wait, wait... You mean to tell me that ya'll really did that?" J.L bursted out laughing at an event that was brought up from freshman year. "Yeah, it was crazy!" Rayan laughed. I looked at each one of my friends as Jacob's arm draped itself around my shoulders. "You okay?" he inquired. "Yeah," I nodded. "You're crying," he smiled slightly. That's when I realized the tears slipping down my cheeks and everyone looking at me. "Everything's just perfect," I smiled while wiping my tears. "Aww!" everyone smiled while gathering into a group hug...

From afar, I could see J.L smiling at the sight. "Get over here, Jay," I smiled. "Yeah, come on," the rest motioned him over and made room for him. He grinned before joining us... Later that night, after the sun had set, we splashed in the water for a bit longer... Jacob and I spent our time together before he decided to head home since he had some extra homework to complete. As for the rest of us, we enjoyed our time together as a group...

J.L and I walked into our dorm building together. We stopped in front of his dorm room door since it was closest to us. "You don't want me to walk you to your room?' he inquired. "It's only a couple of doors down," I answered. "Oh, okay... I appreciate you inviting me," he smiled slightly. "It was your idea, Jay," I spoke, smiling slightly also. "But, still... I never really felt like I belonged anywhere until tonight," he spoke sincerely. I smiled slightly before hugging his torso. "You belong with us," I told him. "Alix.." he spoke. "Yeah?" I spoke, pulling away slightly. "You're my best friend," he spoke softly. I smiled before kissing his cheek. "Good night, Jacob," I told him. "Good night, Alix," he replied... I walked to my dorm room door and looked down the hall at him. We smiled at each other before he went into his dorm. Just as I was about to go into my room, I heard some sniffling. I looked all the way down the hall, in the direction opposite from which I came, to see a girl sitting on the floor crying, her hood on her head.

My heart sunk... "That used to be me," I thought. I slowly approached her and knelt down next to her... "Hey, are you okay?" I asked softly. "Yeah, I'm fine," she lied. "No, you're not. Look, I--." "Just leave me alone," she groaned. "I'm trying to help y--." "You won't be much help," she told me. "I've been through a lot, Honey. And, I'm just a poor soul trying to help another," I caught a tone. "Oh, a poor soul... You poor soul," she pouted, obviously being sarcastic. "You must've been ridiculed most of your life and bullied like I was. You must've had your whole world taken from you in one night. You must've been abandoned by your best friend, at one point... You're not a poor soul... You're just a rich kid.. A stupid rich kid! And, you don't know shit!" she barked.

I simply smiled before replying...

 "You're right... I'm just a stupid rich kid. What do I know?" I got up and walked away... 

"They'll never understand... Never," I mumbled.