Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Craig.

It was after school, and I was searching for Alix. I was her ride home, and we have a study date. I roamed the halls for almost half an hour and called her back to back. She didn’t answer any of my calls or texts which worried me a bit. I took a deep breath before walking toward my car. She might’ve walked home, and her phone probably died. “See, Craig. You’re just worrying yourself,” I spoke softly while shaking my head. I got behind the wheel of my car before driving home. I arrived and placed my books on the coffee table, in the living room. I grabbed chips and drinks and made a pallet for Alix and I’s date. I smiled to myself at the thought of Alix making herself comfortable on the pallet and smiling at me innocently. I spread my books along the coffee table and opened my agenda.

After two hours worth of studying without Alix, my doorbell rang. I hopped up and opened the door, seeing Alix with her hood on her head. “H-Hey, Craig,” she smiled weakly. I pulled her into my arms and held her close to me. “I was worried sick about you, Baby,” I whispered into her ear. I pulled away, taking her hands into mine. “Come on in,” I pecked her lips before stepping back so, she could walk in. She walked in as I took her hood off of her head. “You’re with me now. You don’t need to hide,” I spoke softly before closing the door. “What took you so long?” I asked, leaning against the door. “I got held up with something… I, uh, couldn’t find my phone,” she answered, looking down. “Oh… Well, I’m pretty much done studying so, I guess we could just cuddle,” I smiled slightly at her. “N-No,” she shook her head, avoiding eye contact still. My eyebrow rose in slight confusion. She seems so out of character. “Well, we could watch a movie,” I suggested. “I’m f-fine,” she replied. “Well, what do you want to do?” I asked. She glimpsed up into my eyes before looking down again. “Can you just hold me?” she asked. “Anything for you,” I kissed her forehead while holding her hand. I led her over to the pallet I made, and sat down. She sat in my lap, her head resting on my shoulder and her fingers fiddling with the fabric of my hoodie.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked, knowing that something was wrong. “No… I just want you to tell me you love me and why,” she answered. “Okay… I love you. And I love you because you make me smile,” I began. She closed her eyes as I did as she instructed me. “I love you… And I love you because you can make me laugh. I love you, and I love you because you support me in whatever I decide to do. I love you, and I love you because no matter how much time we spend together, I never get tired of you. I love you, and I love you because you make me happy. I love you, and I love you because you care about me. And do these little things for me. And you’re with me, no matter what I decide to do… It’s me and you against the world,” I spoke before beginning to lift up the sleeves of her hoodie.

She snatched her hands from me before getting off of me. I furrowed my eyebrows at her as she stood, looking the opposite way as me. “What’s wrong?” I asked. She twiddled her fingers and remained silent. “Alix… Come here,” I spoke sternly. She remained in her stance. I stood up and approached her. My body was almost against hers as I looked down at her. “What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you acting like this?” I asked. She humped her shoulders, continuing to look down. I touched her chin, forcing her to look into my eyes. “Don’t fucking lie to me,” I growled. She looked into my eyes, hers gradually becoming watery.

“Craig, it’s no big deal,” she croaked, breaking our eye contact. “Look me in the fucking eye, Alix, and tell me that it’s no big deal,” I spoke, pinning her against the wall. She couldn’t bring herself to look me in the eyes. “Fine”, I spoke, releasing her from my grip, “Can you hand me the remote?” She reached for the remote, her sleeve lifting slightly. I gripped her wrist abruptly. “No, Craig. Please!” she cried before I pulled back the sleeve of her hoodie, unveiling a series of band aids. “What the hell are these for?” I asked, my jaw clenching. “They’re for nothing. Now, just leave it alone,” she muttered, trying to snatch her arm from me. “No. Take the damn band aids off,” I spoke sternly. “Nigga, you can’t make me,” she caught an attitude as my grip on her wrist grew tighter. “Take them off,” I spoke through clenched teeth. She snatched her arm away, glaring at me in the process. “They’re not for you to see!” she barked before beginning to brush past me.