Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Imani.

I awakened with a hangover and an empty bottle of champagne on my nightstand. “Fuck,” I groaned. I stood, took an asprin before heading downstairs. I walked into the kitchen where my maid, Miah, was preparing breakfast. “Your father has left for another business trip,” she informed me. I sighed, sitting at the table at which we eat. She set my food down in front of me as I began to wallow in my loneliness. I could really use some company tonight. After taking my never-ending shower, I checked my phone for the daily good morning call or text from Ray… But, I was a bit shocked to see no new notifications appearing on my screen. Maybe something’s wrong. Maybe he’s not awake yet. I called him. No answer. I texted him and waited patiently for a reply. After half an hour, I gave up and decided to head over to Prod’s. Ray’s fine, right? Yeah, he’s fine.

Rayan.

“Mama!” I shouted as soon as she walked into the mansion. I engulfed her into my arms and picked her up with an ear to ear smile. “Oh, Rayan. My baby boy,” she smiled once I put her down. “You’ve gotten so tall,” she looked into my eyes lovingly. “You’ve gotten so short,” I teased. She playfully hit me and laughed. “Come on, Ray. Help me with these bags,” she motioned me to follow her. I let her get settled before we made dinner together. “So, tell me what’s been going on. How’s Craig and Jacob and Chresanto?” she asked. “They’re good, I guess. Nothing’s really happening,” I shrugged. “What about that girl you were crazy about last time I was here?” she asked with a smile. I rolled my eyes and groaned. “Maaa,” I whined. “What? How is she?” she answered. I sighed. “It’s like I don’t even exist sometimes, Ma… But I love her so much,” I spoke, looking down at my food. “Does she know that?” she asked. “No…” I quietly answered. “Tell her. Call her. Text her. Go see her. Do something,” she spoke, giving me the same lecture I get every other day from Prod. “Aight, Ma. I will… Not now… Later tonight,” I acquiesced. “There we go… Put the moves on her, Ray,” she teased making me smile and laugh.

After dinner, I got dressed freshly before kissing my mother goodbye. I stopped to get some roses and headed to Prod’s house. Once there, I found Imani on the rooftop with everyone else. I took a deep breath before approaching her. “Imani… May I talk to you?” I asked, my hands behind my back. “Sure,” she agreed before standing and walking ahead of me. We took a bedroom. I gave her a bouquet of roses before closing and locking the door. “Here,” I smiled slightly. She blushed. “Awwe! Thank you, Rayan,” she smiled, sniffing the fragrant flowers. “Uh, I don’t know how to start this off, but… Imani, I’m in l---.” “Yo, Imani. You better get Chres! I’m about to sock him in the face in a minute!” Zendaya shouted while banging on the door. I sighed and opened the door. Imani dropped my roses and left the room. My heart sank… Why’d she call for Imani and not me? Chres is my bro. Why did she leave so quickly? I sighed and kneeled down, picking up the bouquet. “Rayan…” a small voice spoke over me. It was Zendaya. “Hey,” I simply spoke. “I’m sorry I interrupted whatever you two were d---.” “No, it’s fine. You didn’t interrupt much,” I sighed. “Awwe! You got her roses?!” Zendaya gushed. “Yeah,” I slightly smiled. “They’re beautiful,” she kneeled down next to me. “But she sure dropped them quick,” I shook my head, sitting down on the floor with my back against the foot of the bed. She mimicked me and looked into my eyes. “Well, I’ll take ‘em,” she smirked, holding out her hands. I gladly handed them over to her and sighed, holding my head. She took in the fragrance.

“Tonight, I was going to tell her how I feel about her. I’ve got my Mama back home, and she’s convinced me to confess my feelings…” I paused. “I’m not just friendzoned anymore. I’m invisible,” I shook my head. Zendaya rested her hand on my shoulder. “It’s okay, Ray… She’ll come around,” she comforted me. “You think so?” I asked. “I know so,” she smiled before kissing my cheek. “Thanks for the roses,” she looked back at me before leaving the room.

Jacob.

I headed home to see what Mamá wanted. “¿Dónde has estado, hijo?” she automatically asked when I stepped foot through the door. “Where have you been, Son?” “Yo estaba con Justine. No hay problema,” I answered. “I was with Justine. No biggie.” She sighed. “I thought you ran off. Half of the stuff that you had in your room isn’t there anymore,” she spoke. “I know… I’m not going with you guys to Nana’s,” I reminded. “But, Jacob. You have to… For your father’s sake,” she begged me. “We’ve already had this discussion, Mamá,” I shook my head, walking away. “Your father’s going through a very difficult time, and he really needs his family right now, especially his son… He’ll be heartbroken to know you’re not going,” she continued going. “Let him be heartbroken,” I half-shrugged. “Jacob…” she spoke, surprised because of my selfish nature. “Mamá… it’s not like that. I love Papá, and I’d love to go see Nana, but… It’s something more than me not wanting to leave this lifestyle,” I sighed. “What is it then?” she asked. “I… I… I gotta go,” I spoke before picking up my phone and my car keys. “Espera, hijo. ¿Podemos hablar de esto?” she called after me. “Wait, Son. Can we talk about this?” I walked out of my home and hopped into my car.

I drove to Justine’s mansion. I pulled into the long driveway after putting in the code for her gates to open. I hopped out my car and approached the door step. I rang the doorbell soon hearing the pidder-padder of her feet going down her spiral staircase. Her door opened unveiling Justine in a nice, forest green mini dress. “Hey, Curly Fry,” she spoke with a bag of M&Ms in hand. “Hey, J,” I smiled as she let me inside. “Can I have---.” “Here,” she handed me the bag of M&Ms. “I know they’re your favorite,” she smiled while we went up the stairs and toward her room. “Thanks,” I smiled. Once in her room, we sat on her bed and began talking. I was talking about how Mamá was pressuring me to move with them.

“Jacob… That’s your father… And he needs your support,” Justine spoke. “Yeah, I know, but… I’m worried about you,” I looked into her eyes. She rolled her eyes. “Everyone’s worried about me… I’ll be fine, Jacob. I promise,” she pledged. “No, you’re not… I know you Justine,” I told her. “I’ll be fine,” she repeated. “No, you won’t… I just know it,” I spoke, intensifying my gaze into her eyes. “You think I can’t handle myself?” she asked defensively. “That’s exactly what I think,” I nodded. She rolled her eyes. “You’re making me feel that way I don’t like to feel, Jacob,” she sighed, gripping her bed sheets.

I knew exactly what that meant. Whenever she says that, she feels either angry or hurt. Sometimes, it’s both. This feels results to her resorting to vigorous drug use. This makes me reflect back on the time she almost overdosed on a drug. I don’t recall which drug it was because there were so many at the time.

“I’m sorry, Justine. It’s just… I don’t want people taking me from you,” I scooted closer to her. “But that’s your family,” she spoke, avoiding eye contact and scooting away from me shyly. “I don’t care, Justine… I’m not leaving you,” I scooted closer to her again. “But---.” I snaked my arm around her waist and pulled her to me before she could scoot away from me. “Do you want me to leave?” I asked lightly brushing my lips against her neck. “N-No,” she shook her head slightly. “You sound like you want me to leave,” I kissed her neck. “No… Don’t leave me,” she whispered, closing her eyes. “What are you going to do to make sure I stay?” I licked my lips seductively. “Anything,” she answered breathlessly while looking into my eyes. My heart races and butterflies fluttered in my stomach while lust and want pumped through my veins. Our lips gravitated toward each other, and once they were less than an inch close, they remained close. Our lips were so close… but they were so far apart at the same time. I yearned to taste to her, but I insisted on restraining myself. We were at a standstill… A lust filled standstill. Our noses met as I bit my lip. “Make the move,” I demanded, my lips barely touching hers. “You make the move,” I could tell she was smirking. I licked my lips before attacking hers.