Water of Sight

"So how old are you exactly?" Lila asks me out of nowhere.

I purse my lips and look at her with a thinking face. "Pretty old."

"Like a 100 years old?" She asks with no filter whatsoever. Just like Clint. "Almost." I simply answer.

"And this cookie dough is gonna be a 100 years old if we don't put it in the oven now." I nod over to the tray full of chocolate chip cookies.

"Right. So we put them in for a few minutes?" She asks me as I place the trays in the oven. "I thought you were the expert baker here?" I turn to her as we stare at the timer.

She turns to me confused. "I thought you were the expert here." I chuckle at her expression. "No. I said I hadn't baked in almost 70 years." Her face is immediately covered in shock. "Wow, that's a really long time." She mutters before looking into the cookbook.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" I over hear Tony from outside.

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception." Steve answers at bit bitterly, which makes me feel guilty for all the secrets I've been keeping from him. I just really don't want him stressing out over something about me.

"Hey, Lila I'm gonna go check up on Iron Man and Captain America." She nods. "Okay I'm gonna go check up on aunty Nat too!" She runs off to the room where Nat is in.

I open the creaky fence door on my way out. "Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him." Tony sighs.

"Earth's Mightiest Heroes." Pulled us apart like cotton candy." Steve adds, only making me feel a hell of a lot worse as I walk down each bloody step towards them.

"Seems like you and Raven walked away all right." Tony says a bit sceptical. Thank you for dragging me into this Stark.

Steve pauses for a moment. "Is that a problem ?" I cross my arms once I'm behind them.

Tony flinches and manages to compose himself before turning around to face me. "I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned."

"Well let's just say you haven't seen it yet." I raise an eyebrow at him as Steve answers truthfully. Lets just hope that we never show that side of us, ever.

Tony scoffs under his breath at Steve's answer. "You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right ?"

I grab a piece of unchopped wood and I use it as a stool to sit on. "Well I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question." Steve tells Tony and glances at me for a short second. Oh God! Please stop making me feel so bad Steve, I did not just make four dozen cookies for your grumpy ass.

"That's the effective plan. Attack from inside not from outside." I tell them as I vividly remember the shit that went down in D.C "To betray you must first belong." I add.

Tony drops his axe and starts walking closer to me. "Banner and I were doing research."

Steve grabs another piece of wood ready to chop. "That would affect the team."

I sit there and listen tentatively as they argue back and forth. "That would end the team. Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the 'why' we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?"

Steve grabs yet another piece of wood and tears it in half with his bare hands, causing me to flinch at the angry tension. "Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die." He looks at me at the last part. "Every time." I look down to the dirt in shame.