33. The Werther Project (Part 1)

Zacznij od początku

"I'm guessing that plan went out the window when Abaddon massacred the entire membership in fifty-eight," Sam cuts me off.

"And then the house stayed in limbo until some lucky family bought it," says Dean.

"Werther's a time bomb and needs to be defused. Not only is this in our wheelhouse, it's our responsibility."

"Our responsibility?"

"We're Men of Letters." I clear my throat. "And a Woman of Letters. It's our legacy."

"Well, hey, if you say this is a case, I'm in, if you'll have me."

"Wouldn't be a case without you, Dean," I say. "We need to get to that box. We're not exactly allowed in the front way anymore." I brush hair away from my face.

"All right, well, you two go in a backway. I'll keep her occupied. If I get my bits blown off for this..."

I chuckle and clap my older brother on the shoulder. "You're not us, so, you've got a shot at keeping those family jewels of yours."

While Dean approaches the porch, Sam and I slink around the house, trying to find another way in. I try the first door we find, it's unlocked. I go in first and find myself inside the kitchen. My eyes go to the whistling kettle as it starts. Naturally, right as we're about to freaking sneak in. It's like it knows.

Sam pulls me out of the kitchen and into the hallway. I let out a breath as we've made it out just in time; we hear the footsteps in the kitchen. The kettle stops whistling.

"Come on," Sam says in my ear, and he tugs me along again. In a glimpse, I see Dean.

Sam and I find the basement door, and I start picking the lock. Hopefully Sam's junk doesn't get blown off because of this. I make a small squeak of success, and Sam and I head downstairs, with him giving us light with a flashlight.

The basement is normal: full of dusty furniture and dust particles. And it's cold. I nudge Sam when I see a pile of furniture by a wall. We go to it and begin to move it out of the way so as to not disturb Dean's distraction upstairs.

The hole we expose after moving the furniture is huge. Sam steps through first, with me right behind him. The Werther box is massive.

"Stand guard," Sam tells me.

"You sure you got this?" I whisper.

"Rowena told me the spell, I got everything before we left."

"You can handle it?"

"This isn't my first time with spells, Jo."

"All right." Rolling my eyes slightly, I step outside the hole, with my back to my little brother.

My ears tune up to something upstairs. I tilt my head. Something doesn't sound right.

"Sam!" says Dean. "Jo! Sammy! She wants you up here, now!"

God damn it, Dean. I spin around to tell Sam we should probably listen, but I fall back on my ass to make sure I avoid the hoard of green smoke that's coming straight for me. It soars over my head and escapes up the basement stairs. What the hell?

I'm the first up the stairs and out of the basement. I skid as I see the gun, although I'm not afraid of the woman. I'm afraid of her shooting my brother, who I feel bump into me from behind.