Chapter 17

Who goes to church and thinks about suicide?

My heart was racing, my breathing was shallow, my body felt hot and I was burning up both internal and externally. The look of complete disgust was plastered on her face and with her tone being as loud as it was, it not only sobered me up but it drew attention to some of my family members.

"Aunt Rosa." I started slowly.

"Get up child, we need to talk."

Just as I was about to follow her request I saw both my mom and uncle come nearby as they saw the little escapade. I turned pleading eyes to his and hoped he'd rescue me before shit got way too real.

He bought it.

"Rosa? What's going on here?"

"Austin this doesn't concern you-"

"The hell it does, she's my niece and whatever it is that you need to say to her you might as well do so in front of me. So what's going on?"

"I'll tell you what's going on. This whole façade of lesbian behavior has got to stop. Not only has my daughter been dragged into this sinful life but now she's dragging you into it and has much as I can't get it through her head that what she is doing is wrong I can certainly let you know. Yes I haven't been there to educate her about what's wrong and right and yes we were slack in telling her that she should love and accept everyone but what's wrong is wrong and whatever feelings you think you have for that girl is just that... a feeling."

"Aunt Rosa."

"No, you need to hear this. Loving someone of the same sex is not only wrong it's disgusting and I'd be damned if I let the two people that I care most about throw their lives away. You're good people but you just happened to make bad decisions... You can come back from them, just walk away and do the right thing."

"Aunt Rosa, stop. I'm not a lesbian; I never was and I never will be." I say loudly and by now the place was quiet except for the two of us talking.

"So why don't you explain the kiss then." My mother interjects and I all but rolled my eyes.

"Mom, for once in your life can you be quiet and let me tell my side of the story?'

I stared her dead center and she opened her mouth to scold me but Uncle Austin stopped.

"I did not kiss that girl, she kissed me and just before I could understand what was going on you walked in. That does not mean that I hate her or my cousin. I was brought up to love everyone, despite who they love or how they live their lives. You people thought me that, but now that it's one of your own, you suddenly decide to disown them? and for what? because she did exactly what you thought her; to love. I will never become you people because unlike you, no matter what my loved ones do I'd never stop talking to them."

I was about to turn away and storm out but I was just itching to get my last statement out.

"And by the way; there is this little saying about those without sin cast the first stone. So before you start being hypocrites, examine your life; a lie is still a lie and a sin is still a sin, no matter how different."

I ignored the looks on everyone's faces and the words coming from their mouths as I gathered my stuff and headed to my car. I might not be 100% up to driving but I'd be damned if I stayed there any longer. Just as I arrived at my car I felt a hand on mine and I rolled my eyes as I prepared to deal with my mom or aunt. Turning, I was surprised to find it was just my uncle.

"Hey uncle, it's just you."

"Yeah, look I'm sorry about what you were just put through. These people could be so bias sometimes and I hate to admit that I'm apart of this family."

"It's okay uncle, I don't fault you."

"I know you don't and I know that I should stick up for you guys more- look regardless of everything... I want you to know that I'll always be here for you girls. Anything you need or anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to call."

"Thanks uncle."

I gave him a hug before quickly climbing into my car. I didn't want to be there longer than necessary and the sooner I got home the better I would feel. I placed the car in drive and in minutes I was speeding out of the dreaded town.

Two hours later I was pulling up to the house and I released a heavy sigh as I turned off the engine. Bracing my head against the headrest, I closed my eyes and took a whole host of deep breaths as I tried to calm myself down. My hands were ice cold from how upset I was and I knew they were shaking. I had an odd desire to start crying and I didn't know why so I just rubbed my eyes before taking one more deep breath and heading inside.

All the alcohol that was in my system had somehow disappeared so I was now sober and completely awake. Stripping off my clothes, I headed towards the bathroom for a late night shower before heading to bed.

I waited on the temperature to change before standing underneath the water and I let out a long sigh as I felt my tension starting to slip away. I never knew my family could be like this and in a sense, I was glad I got to see this side of them.

My mind replayed the night and for some reason it settled on a memory of Darcy and I. Only this wasn't a memory; cause I couldn't, for the life of me, remember it ever happening.

I was kissing Darcy in a dark room and from the memory of it, it was pretty heated. Shaking my head, I turned off the shower as I tried to think of a reason why we were kissing or when.

It couldn't have been a memory... But why am I thinking of kissing her?