Chapter 5

I woke up wanting to kiss you, dreaming that you wanted the same.

"Am... Hey?"

Darcy marched right pass me and I blinked a few times as my mind tried to understand what was going on.

"Carol told me you were home alone and that I should keep you company... So, here I am." She smiled as she sat down in the spot I just vacated and placed her snacks with mine.

Shaking my head, I joined her and pressed play and we both sat back, ate and watched on in silence. My phone vibrated and I looked down to see Ryder's name blinking up at me. I rolled my eyes and placed the phone on silent. I was in no mood to deal with him.

I wasn't mad anymore, I just couldn't face him at the moment.

"Are you still mad at him?" Darcy asked and I rolled my eyes.

"You are quite the inquisitor aren't you?"

"What? I'm sitting very close to you and your phone is the only thing in my direct view."

"Well maybe you should train your eyes or something."

"You are so weird."

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are!"

"No I'm not."

"Oh my gosh, you're childish."

"No I'm not."

I watched as Darcy rolled her eyes and I bit in my laugh.

"How did this guy put up with you for so long?"

"Apparently my vagina was worth the wait."

Darcy rolled her eyes before giggling and I couldn't help but smile.

"So, how's things at home?"

"Oh right, you don't know. I moved out from my parents about a month ago so I'm less depressed than usual and my job keeps me occupied."

"Oh, good for you. No one should ever have to deal with people like them and I'm glad you finally left."

"Yea."

She braced her head against the couch and I knew her mood had changed. I never really understood what happened between her and her family but Carrie told me enough to know that her parents were worse than aunt Rosa.

"What's it like having to deal with people who don't appreciate your lifestyle?"

"It pains. The people who've loved you your entire life has now turned their backs on you and you feel like you've been kicked out into a cold, dark, gloomy night."

I watched as her expression turned so dark and I could see the hurt and disappointment on her face even though she was trying to make it into a joke.

"Maybe they'll change?"

"People like them never change. They stick to traditions and they have this weird state of mind."

"Meaning?"

"They think everything wrong in this world is white people's fault, that black people shouldn't continue to let them run their lives and how we're supposed to be the stronger race and blah, blah, blah."

"That's a load of bull."

"Yeah but it did sting when my mom and dad both walked in on me and my white friend."

"Oh my."

"I was banned from having any friends and sent to Markstown to have these 'evil' ways removed from me."