Chapter 11

I'm like a moth drawn to your flame. Will I make it out alive?

"Well, well. Look who the cat dragged in." Carol says as I step through the door.

"Hi." I respond.

"How was the party?"

"I remember I was dancing and drinking, real hard, but that's it. I woke up in a strange bedroom with Darcy."

"How fun."

"Right!"

We both laugh as I sat on the coffee table and faced her.

"Oh come on Janey, I promise you I scrubbed this couch twice over."

"I don't care, nothing can scrub out the images I saw."

"You promised me this wouldn't be weird."

"No one likes to walk in on two people having sex, especially when you know them."

"Perverts do."

"Do I look like a pervert?" I saw her mouth forming the word yes and I narrowed my eyes.

"No?"

Getting up, I started to strip off my alcohol and vomit drenched clothes as I headed to my bedroom. I had one more day of peace before the wonder duo was back together and I wasn't entirely ready for a house full of lesbians so soon.

I wrapped my towel around me just as my phone rang and a smile graced my lips as I saw Ryder's dorky face.

"Hi baby." I sing songed.

"Hey, heard you went to a party last night."

"I did."

"Did you have fun?"

"Ah huh."

"Without me?"

"Well I didn't do anything bad. Darcy kept an eye on me the entire night and ensured I didn't have any weird drunk sex."

"Remind me to thank her."

"Are you coming over today?"

"Am, no. I have this thing I gotta do-"

"What thing?"

"It's really not that important?"

"So then you can come over."

"Babe-" I heard him take a deep breath and I knew his hand was massaging his neck. "I really can't, but I promise to make it up to you."

"Ryder."

"I promise."

The phone went dead in my hand and I threw it onto the bed as I tried not to get angry. I knew that the 'thing' he needed to do was smoking with that ass wipe of a friend. I groaned loudly before storming out towards the bathroom. I didn't even give a snide little comment when Carrie made fun of my attitude as I stormed past her.

I knew it wasn't my place to pick and choose who Ryder does and doesn't talk to but ever since I met him I knew Diego was trouble.

I turned on the shower and stepped underneath, barely registering that the water was ice cold. I just wished that Ryder would drop his loser friend once and for all. The others were cool; educated and of good class but that damn Diego.

"Argh!"

I slammed my fists against the tile of the shower and braced my head. I knew that having sex would make me a deranged person.

After I was done venting in the shower, I wrapped my towel around me and walked out.

"Hey, we need to talk."

I stood frozen in my spot and I held onto the doorknob of the bathroom door as I stared into the light brown eyes of my mother.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you. You've been avoiding my calls and me so I had no other choice."

"Mom-"

"Carol sweetheart, give us a moment."

I watched as Carol got up and headed to her room and I silently pleaded with her to rescue me. She shrugged her shoulders and just left me to face the beast.

"What?" I demanded, already angry. My hands folded in front of me and a bored look on my face.

"You might be some own way child who can get away with being rude to your dad but-"

"Don't bring him into this-"

"Make no mistake, I am not him!"

I continued to stare off at some random wall as she stared a hole into my face.

"Jane!"

She walks over to me and I backup, my back, hitting the wall behind me. Her hands covers mine and her gentle voice reappears once more.

"I know we had a fight a while back but I'm here to reconcile. I don't want you to hate me and I now know that the things I said before were mean."

"No mom, you don't get it." I say softly before taking a deep breath. "Carrie is not only my cousin, she's my best friend and for you to just be so blatant in your hatred for people like her... What does that really say?"

"I never said I hated her kind Jane."

"Her kind?! You can't even say the word. She's a lesbian mom."

"I know!... Are you?" She says the last part so cautiously that for a second I wanted it to be true.

"I'm not. I'm in love with Ryder-" her face morphs into a smile and I hated seeing it. "But by God I wish I wasn't."

"You don't mean that."

"Yes I do. You don't want to admit it but you feel pity for your brother who has the gay daughter. She already have to go through shit with her mother do you really think she can handle more? Gosh you're despicable." I pulled my hands from hers and walk away.

"I know how cruel the world can be Jane."

"Yea? Well I live in the world." I slam my bedroom door and locked it.

I wasn't fussy about the whole 'LGBT' thing but now I knew just what Carrie had to go through and I hated it. When I heard the familiar click of the front door being locked I snuck out and made my way to her room. Without knocking I pushed my way in and saw Carrie lying on her bed, fetal style.

"Carrie?" I took a cautious step towards her and she made no move to face me.

Walking around to her side of the bed, I saw the tears streaming down her face and my heart went out to her.

"Carrie." I said softly and her once unfocused eyes met mine.

"I can't deal with more hate." She whispers, her voice a broken mess.

"I know, I know." I immediately sat on the ground and pressed my forehead against her own as her once silent cries turned to loud sobbing.

I couldn't begin to imagine what she must be going through and all by herself. Veronica's family were open minded and really didn't care about her so she didn't have to constantly be degraded by the ones she loved.

"I tried to see her-" Carrie stutters as she sits up and brings her knees to her chest.

I cautiously sat on the bed, too aware that she and Veronica did stuff on it often but I swallowed my thoughts for my cousin.

"I tried to see her, to make her understand... To make her-"

It pained me to see her like this and I knew she was talking about Aunt Rosa.

"She hates me. She hates me Jane! And now Aunt Justine does too."

I pulled her into a hug as she just about went into hyperventilating mode.