Chapter 16

I'm lost, just seeking to be found.

There was soft music from the 60's playing in the background and I literally had to will myself to calm down as I looked into the face of my once, favorite aunt. Even though she looked like the same loving, adorable, motherly person that I've grown to love I couldn't stop my brain from going back to all the times I watched my cousin literally break down from the pain of losing a mother's love.

"Hi." I said shyly.

Aunt Rosa's face literally transformed into the biggest smile I've ever seen before I was engulfed into a hug. My nose was assaulted by the jasmine perfume she always wore and I wanted to wrap my hands around her and return her hug. She pulled away before I had an internal conflict and I forced a smile as she collected both presents and handed them to some random person who just happened to walk by.

"Come on in, come on in. Your mother just arrived. I'm so happy you're here."

I was being dragged into the crowd of people before I could protest and soon I was being passed around like a fat piece of cake as family members embraced me. People who I haven't seen in years and ones who I've never seen all hugged me and said how I've grown and I just smiled awkwardly as I tried not to say something rude.

When the excitement finally died down most of the crowd went to their seats and the others paired off to gossip about nonsense. I quickly made my way to the kitchen to grab something to drink before escaping back to my car and I hunted the fridge until I found a can beer.

"Drinking already?"

I spun around to see Uncle Austin and my face instantly morphed into a smile before I was in his warm embrace.

"Hi." I almost screamed and I heard his faint laugh as we pulled apart.

"Funny seeing you here. I thought you were antisocial."

"I am but Carrie made me bring her gift since she's up in the country being all naturely."

Uncle Austin laughed at my scrunched up face before grabbing a can of beer and swallowing it all in one go.

"How's she doing? I haven't heard from her in a while."

"She's fine, she's with Veronica so... Yea."

"Ah."

We were interrupted by the loud cheers coming from the open door as none other than my mother stepped in.

"There you are-" she began but stopped when she noticed that her brother wasn't alone. "Janey, what are you doing here?"

"I'm family remember." I deadpan before heading towards the exit. I think I've overstayed my welcome.

"Now wait a minute. I don't get why you're always so cold hearted with me but I'm your mother and this nonsense has got to stop." My mother says as she blocks my path.

"I'm leaving." I reply, not making eye contact.

"To go to that girlfriend of yours?"

My eyes snap up to my mother's and I could see the hatred that completely radiated from her body. Her voice was loud and her words precise and I watched as my uncle straightened up from the corner of my eyes.

"Justine." He warns and I feel my anger rising.

"Excuse me?" I grit out as I'm afraid what I truly want to say might slip.

"You heard me! Just because you see other people doing it doesn't make it right. I love my brother and I love my niece but what's wrong is wrong and I'm putting my foot down."