20: Dom pisses of more people

After my talk with Reyna, we return the Principia to see a hilarious scene. Dom, with poor Nemeo clutching his leg tightly, is perched on top of an ornamental eagle, with a horde of angry legionnaires and ghosts trying to reach him. From the cracks in several other ornamental eagles, it seemed that Dom was hopping from one stand to another without heavily damaging the structure.

The only things that stopped the legionnaires from reaching him was Aurum and Argentum, Reyna's dogs, Frank, Hazel, Leo, Calypso, Piper and Jason, who tried to keep the crowd back. Reyna stormed in with Thalia-fashion. "Romans!" she bellowed, more confident than I expected from a woman who was just crying her eyes out in depression. "What is the meaning of this! Leave Dominique Solomon alone!"

The Romans froze and immediately returned to their seats in the forum. "Sorry, Praetor. It was just that Dominique's cat, Nemeo, decided to use our legs as a scratching tool and started sharpening it's claws on our legs, and it's claws are made of imperial gold." A centurion said.

Reyna nodded sharply, back to her strict Praetor self. "I'm sure that you remember about your encounter with the stampede of unicorns a year ago, Centurion Dakota. Animals cannot always control their instincts, and a cat's instinct is to scratch or purr, while a wolf's instinct is to hunt." At these words I flinched. Was my first instinct to hunt down mistakes and prey? "It is not it's fault..."

"His." interrupted Dom, shadow-travelling down to her side. "Nemeo is a he, and he is a lion, not a cat."

"And a lion is part of the cat family... wait what? A lion? Called Nemeo?" Reyna spluttered.

"Yes." I replied, a hint of a smile on my face. "Dom has tamed the Nemean Lion."

"Kill it!" Roared Ridiculous, I mean Vitellus, jumping forward towards the shivering cub. I whipped my hunting knife from my satchel and held it at his neck.

"This is made from Stygian Iron and silver that has been blessed by Artemis. I'm sure it could vaporise your soul." I said. "So don't you dare step any closer to Nemeo. He's different from the Nemean Lion, he's just a harmless little cub."

"Well, as harmless as a cat with imperial gold claws can be." snorted Dom, who backed up in surprised when I glared at him. "What? Just trying to help!"

"Well you're not!" I groaned.

"What Thea wants to say..." Reyna continued, stopping a bickering session between me and Dom. "Is that Nemeo will not harm you and any harm towards you would have been accidental."

Reyna then gestured to one of the senators to go gather the citizens of New Rome. Ash she strode outside, we followed, and I couldn't help but marvel at Reyna's confidence and security she showed in the public. I knew she was an outstanding leader, but I never saw her fully in war, only once, at Capture the Flag but that didn't count.

Reyna addressed the crowd outside. Even Terminus was listening. The Romans had gathered around so quickly I was surprised to see them already in line, ready to follow their praetor wherever she would lead them. Frank stood behind her, and so did the rest of the Seven and Calypso.

"Our friends need our help. The Armies of Night will attack Camp Half-Blood on the Summer Solstice, and we will proceed as planned. All legionnaires must be on guard, and we will protect the rear of the army. I will only lead you for the first section of this battle, for I will be needed somewhere else." Reyna started.

I stepped up beside her. "Leo, Calypso, Piper and Jason, I'll need you four with Reyna. You have to stop the army that will burst from the Labyrinth through Zeus's fist from joining with their allies and breaking our formation. It'll be you five against telkhines, maybe Pasiphaë if we haven't dealt with her yet, and the nightmare of the gods."

"Wasn't Kronos the nightmare of the gods?" A centurion asked, who I recognized as Leila.

"Kronos was their father, a lost enemy. Kampë is very much real." I answered. "I will be hoping that Dom, Leah and Max, and I will be coming with the army in Zeus fist to cut of the army from behind. None's really sure at this stage."

"And." Reyna said, softly. "This will be the last time I will lead you. I will step down from my position and offer my position to Hazel Levesque, daughter of Pluto, one of the Seven, heroine of Olympus."

Hazel looked shocked. "I... I can't do that. You're an amazing Praetor, Reyna. Don't just throw your who life away."

"You are a brave soldier, Hazel. I know you will do well. It's time that I retired my career in war, for the war has weathered me more than others. Hazel is young with a long life ahead of her, even though I'm sure she is more experienced than all of us, being the only one to face Gaia alone and stop her from rising by herself." Hazel flushed at her words. "Romans, do me proud. Ave Romane!"

"Ave Romane!"

Suddenly, a familiar mop of red and yellow hair ran towards them. The mist had been failing because of Hecate's imprisonment, and Leah's glamour had faded, leaving her in her natural beauty: long tousled red hair, and piercing blue eyes, occasionally changing colors. "Barrier is failing!" yelled Max, not waiting to reach them. "We found Tom and Alice, they brought an army to stop the Romans from joining the Greeks! They've broken the barriers!"

Reyna's war instincts immediately took control, and so did mine. I could see Frank shouting orders at the army, and Reyna controlling the spark of panic that spread through the crowd. Jason flew over head, Piper in his arms, as Calypso lifted Leo in to the air with her voice, who soon activated Festus, in all his glory.

I ran towards the tunnel, turning into a wolf in mid-jump, before racing ahead. I saw so many monsters, but I knew this was no problem for the legion. The only problem was the Chimera, who was soon flung against the side of a wall, with a growling Nemeo pinning it to the floor, and Dom chasing behind, his double-ended broadsword already in his hands. 

Echidna stood at the edge, whistling and twirling a fearsome spear in her hand. The mother of monsters, appearing to please the primordial of the Night. Leah and Alice were already in combat, while Max, already analysing the Roman strategies, joined in with the melee.

I looked at Echidna and pointed to her, than to myself. "You. Me. To the end."

BAM. 1113 words sorry it's short but this was rushed.