The8 - Regret

Dedicated to @ClotildeRoseBlas

She regretted.

She regretted looking up from her book when he first introduced himself in front of class.

She regretted not doing anything when he tried befriending her.

She regretted letting herself grow attached to him.

"Minghao-ah, I need to, uhm, tell you something." She bit her bottom lip, nervously fiddling with her fingers as she stared at the kimbap-eating Chinese boy before her.

He waved her off. With his mouth full, he said, "Later, YN-ah, this is just too good."

She grew a little frustrated, having kept the feelings to herself for so long. "But--"

"Shhh." He put a finger on her lips, preventing her from speaking. "Don't tell me anything. I'm feeling really good right now."

She removed his finger and sighed. Slightly smiled. "Okay then. Maybe later."

Stupid girl. She didn't tell him, though, unable to gather the courage she needed a second time.

She didn't dare, he didn't care.

Turned out another she was why he was so happy that day, that she being Zhang Meili.

She was just as pretty as her name. A transfer student from China, thick, dark hair, a small face, and a thin body. She was just how he liked girls to be, his ideal type.

Minghao and Meili dated a month after her transfer. Everyone supported their relationship, rooting for one of the school's perfect couples.

Everyone but her.

Y/N was just average. She wasn't that smart, nor was she that pretty. She was just her, the typical Korean girl with slightly slanted eyes.

The rooftop was deserted as most of the students preferred the soccer fields, where a match was currently going on. She was standing, just standing, hands tightly holding onto the railings, trying to stop the tears from making their way out of her eyes.

She was hurt.

Why wouldn't he listen?

She sobbed, sniffing and occasionally hiccupping. Unable to hold back anymore, she screamed. "XU MINGHAO WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN? I LOST MY CHANCE TO TELL YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR STUPID SELFISHNESS, YOU IDIOT! WHY ARE YOU SO BLIND? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SEE? I'M IN FRONT OF YOU AND I LIKE YOU, YOU STUPID CHINESE MORON!"

She panted, tears now freely rushing down her pale face.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

She froze.

Minghao.

He walked closer, her back to him. He touched her shoulder. She flinched. He immediately pulled his hand away.

Y/N turned around.

He gasped at her tearstained face. All the time they had been friends, never once had he ever seen her shed a single tear. She had always been strong, independent, just... Beautiful, in her own unique way.

"Why are you crying?"

Her temper flared. "Why am I crying? You're asking me why I am crying? You idiot! It's because of you!"

He looked confused. "What did I do?"

She held a hand up. "Shut up, I'm not done talking. I tried telling you before, mustering up all the courage I had in me. I recited what I was going to say over and over again in my head. I tried so hard, I wanted to tell you so bad. But you just wouldn't listen! Selfish. Blind. Insensitive. How could you possibly not see? I'd been with you all the time, trying to give you signs. You always saw it as a friendly gesture! I wanted to tell you, Minghao-ah, I still do."

"Tell me what?"

"That I like you. I like you so much that it hurts. It hurts to know you belong to someone else now. It hurts to see you drift away further and further away each day. It hurts how you only see me as a friend," she looked up at him, "it hurts, Minghao-ah."

He sighed. Ruffled his hair. Looked at her and then at the door of the rooftop. Sighed again. "I'm sorry, Y/N-ah. I'm sorry I didn't listen, and for all the pain that I caused you. But I'm not sorry I see you as a friend, and I'm not sorry for dating Meili either. You see? It really doesn't matter if you tell me or not. We're just not meant to be. Honestly, I'd like to stay and talk a little longer, but Meili's waiting for me and I need to go. I hope we can stay as friends, though. Your support would mean a lot to me." With that, he ran out of the rooftop.

She dropped down to the hard ground, hugging her knees and glaring at the door. "Asshole."

She regretted.

She regretted looking up from her book when he first introduced himself in front of class.

She regretted not doing anything when he tried befriending her.

She regretted letting herself grow attached to him.

But most importantly,

She regretted falling for Xu Minghao.