S. Coups - Another Him

Dedicated to @Beth_230

"Thank you, ahjumma." Seungcheol smiled at the ahjumma who owned the spicy rice cake stall.

The ahjumma smiled back and patted his shoulder before looking around for someone. "Young man, where is your pretty girlfriend? It's been a long time, hasn't it?"

Immediately, the boy felt uneasy. "Ah, ne. It's been three years, ahjumma. We're not together anymore." With all his might, he willed himself not to cry.

He missed her, more than he ever should.

The ahjumma gave him a sad smile. "I'm so sorry, young man. The two of you looked good together."

Seungcheol rubbed his nape before saying goodbye. The moment he turned around, however, he felt a huge pang on his heart. It hurt.

To see you in the arms of another man.

In the arms of Chae Hyungwon.

"Y/N-ah, let's get some ice cream!" Hyungwon looked at you, his eyes twinkling in excitement.

You laughed. "But it's winter, oppa."

He grinned, pulling you into his warm embrace. "So what? You have me to keep you warm," he proudly stated.

You giggled, lightly punching his shoulder. "Yeah, yeah. I have you." Suddenly, from the corner of your eyes, you saw someone.

Four years ago, you gave that someone your heart. You told him you loved him, and he said the same. You were happy. He was your happiness. A year later, he suddenly disappeared without a trace. You couldn't reach him no matter what you did. You had completely no idea of how he was doing. You were worried, but still, you loved him.

So you waited. You waited until your heart stopped hurting, until your eyes ran out of tears to cry.

And all of a sudden, you found yourself unable to miss him any longer, unable to wait any longer. You were broken, and lonely, and scarred.

That was when Chae Hyungwon came in.

He loved and cherished you. He showed you how, as cliché as it sounded, rainbows could appear after the storm.

You were broken, he mended you.

You were lonely, he was there for you.

He knew, though, that he couldn't erase your scar. So as best as he could, instead of erasing your scar, he avoided making new ones.

Hyungwon was your new happiness.

Quickly realizing how your eyes were starting to cloud with tears, you gently pushed him away and wiped your tears.

"Y/N? What's wrong?" Concern showed in Hyungwon's doe eyes.

Glancing at the boy you once loved, you said, "Oppa, there's something I have to do. Get me my vanilla ice cream, okay?" You smiled.

He looked at the guy across the street. Choi Seungcheol.

Hyungwon knew. He understood. So he smiled and nodded, hugging you a little tighter before running to the ice cream shop. He trusted you enough to know you wouldn't run back to Seungcheol.

When you weren't able to see your boyfriend anymore, you crossed the street, coming face-to-face with the boy who used to occupy your heart. "Choi Seungcheol," you breathed.

His tongue worried over his lips for a while, before he slowly said, "Y/N-ah, I'm sorry."

"Where have you been?" You tried hiding the disappointment in your voice, realizing that you failed after seeing the expression on his face.

He looked guilty. "I... Y/N-ah," he blinked, swallowing the lump in his throat, "that night after we had dinner, I told you my mom wanted to meet me. That was true, but on the way to her place, my head started to hurt badly. I didn't manage to pull over, another car already crashed mine. So they rushed me to the hospital, and after the surgery I found out that I wouldn't be able to walk anymore. I looked awful, Y/N-ah, and everytime the boys come to visit me, I would beg them not to tell you about my condition. After they discharged me, my family decided they would try to get me to walk again. I wanted that too. I was sent to America. For the three years I didn't see you, I missed you. So much. That was why I worked hard to walk again, so I could come back to you. But do you remember Mina? Yeah, the girl who was obsessed with me back in high school. I heard from Jeonghan that she told you I didn't want you anymore. She was lying, Y/N-ah, I swear--"

"Shh." You put a finger on his lips, stopping him from talking. "Seungcheol-ah, I understand."

"You do?" he asked, hope in his eyes.

You nodded. "But I can't come back to you. I'm glad you're back, you're even able to walk again. Thank you for thinking about me this whole time. I think about you, too, but three years without any news is just too much for me, Seungcheol-ah. I didn't believe Mina when she came to me that day. I knew you weren't that kind of person. But I have Hyungwon now, and I can't leave him. No, even if I can, I won't. I love him now, Seungcheol-ah. I'm sorry."

The hope in his eyes instantly faded. Dejected, he slowly nodded, a forced smile on his lips. "I just want you to know," he sighed, "that when he holds you close, when he pulls you near, when he says the words you've been needing to hear. I wish I was him. I love you, Y/N-ah,"

"but now you have another man you can call yours."