Mingyu - My Bad Boy

-Twelve years ago-

"Y/N-ah, go get the plastic bag on the coffee table!" Your mom said, rushing to get her make-up done.

The five-year-old you ran to the living room, your still short legs creating small thumps every time they made contact with the wood-plated floor. Carrying the rather large plastic bag back to your mom's room and carefully setting it on her bed, you asked, "Mommy, what's inside?"

"A cake, dear," your mom said, busy applying blush-on to her cheeks.

You tilted your head. "Why don't we eat it, then?"

Finishing her final touches, your mom turned to you and picked you up, sitting you on her lap. "We're meeting with my best friend back in high school, Y/N! Isn't that great? She even told me she has a son around your age!"

Your big eyes lit up with excitement. "I'll have a new friend?"

Your mom nodded, earning herself a big fat smooch on her cheek. "Let's go then!"

Things, however, were different when you were met face-to-face with the son. He was cold, he didn't talk much. Scratch that. He hadn't even opened his mouth to yawn or complain, which was pretty odd, considering the fact that your moms have been talking and in their own world for the past three hours.

"Mommy," you called her for the hundredth time that day.

Your mom sighed. "Y/N, why don't you and your new friend go play in the swings, hm? What do you think, Minji?" she asked her friend, to which the five-year-old boy's mom nodded.

And that was how you and the boy ended up sitting side-by-side on the swing with none of you actually swinging. It was awkward, and even a toddler like you knew. Wanting to break the ice, you turned to face the mysterious boy who you decided to become interested upon. "Excuse me?"

He turned his head to look at you with a straight face. With this, your excitement grew. He was finally acknowledging your existence!

You grinned, showing him you had a missing tooth. "Hello!" You tried your best to bow in your sitting position. "My name is Jeon Y/N and I'm five. How about you?"

The boy smiled a little after hearing that you were also five. "My name is Kim Mingyu and I'm also five."

"Why were you so silent earlier?" you asked, curiosity lacing your every word.

He gave you an awkward grin and scratched the back of his head, nervousness dancing in his eyes. "I was kind of scared, I guess."

You tilted your head to the right.

He giggled, thinking you were cute. "I thought you were someone older or younger than me."

"What's wrong with older or younger people?"

Mingyu shrugged and started swinging. "I get more comfortable with people my age, I guess." After a few more minutes of swinging and getting to know each other, Mingyu stopped and looked into your eyes. "Can we be friends?"

You gave him your best eye-smile. "Might as well be best friends, Mingyu-ah."

"Do you promise we'll be best friends forever?" He held out his pinky.

You laced your little pinkies together and said, "I promise."

-Twelve years later, present-

You and Mingyu were now in your last year in high school. Throughout the past twelve years, memories were shared, tears were shed and laughter warmed your hearts. The two of you had grown to be very close to one another, and were often teased about being a couple.

Which you denied, of course.

Mingyu had grown to be a handsome young man who stood tall and proud. He was in a group called Seventeen, along with twelve other boys ranging from seniors to juniors, one of them being your brother, Jeon Wonwoo. They were the most popular boys in your school, usually called the 'typicals', as in typical playboys. With their faces and talents, it was hard for girls to resist their charm, falling into their trap after. None of these girls seemed to mind, though, because at least they had something to boast about, something along the lines of, "I've dated Vernon!" or "I've seen Jeonghan take off his shirt! Oh, he's a Greek god."

And yes, Mingyu transformed from the cold and shy five-year-old, to a seventeen-year-old heartbreaker who played with girls for the fun of it. He also grew pretty distant from you who also had an impressive reputation.

You were the Student Council president; smart, quick and critical, quite the opposite of Seventeen. You kept the school rules going, bearing the pain of having to put people in detention rooms, including Mingyu and your own brother. You had grown to be a beautiful seventeen-year-old, however, and this what made boys stuck to you like glue. You were witty, caring, sarcastic and bubbly, and this was why everyone said you were the perfect combination.

While Mingyu changed, you were still the same innocent girl from twelve years ago who was gifted with an angelic face.

It was a normal Monday morning. As per usual, you were one of the earliest students to set foot on school grounds. Closing your locker after taking the books you needed for the day, you made your way to your homeroom class, where you saw two people already inside. "How should I confess to her, hyung?" one said, nervousness pretty evident in his voice.

Definitely Mingyu.

The other guy shrugged. "Tell her. Just remember that she likes it better when guys are straightforward, especially when confessing."

Wonwoo without doubt.

Wonwoo and yourself came to school separately because the night before he had a sleepover in Mingyu's house. 'So the almighty Kim Mingyu likes a girl?' you thought. Strangely enough, you felt a light pang on your chest. 'What is this feeling?' You shook your head, grimacing.

Mingyu suddenly noticed your presence. "What's up, Pres?" He winked flirtatiously as Wonwoo snickered beside him.

You cringed. Ignoring him, you turned to your brother. "How did you even wake up this morning?"

The emo boy only smiled, chuckling a little before waving and exiting your classroom to head to his own.

You plopped down on your seat, which was right in front of Mingyu's. "So," you started while placing your books on your desk, "you like a girl, Mingyu-ssi?"

Mingyu frowned at your formality. "We've known each other for so long. Why so formal, Y/N-ah?"

You sighed and muttered, "I don't think I know who you are anymore."

"What?" Mingyu's eyes widened in disbelief. He placed his hands on your shoulders and turned you around so you were facing him. "Why?"

"You changed." You felt your eyes sting and tears start forming. "You don't talk to me anymore, you never walk home with me, you hang out with Seventeen all the time," you sniffed, "you don't even look at me anymore!" By now your tears were already falling. "I just want my Gyu back," you whispered. While looking into his eyes, you continued, "I just want him to talk to me, laugh with me, do silly things together with me like back when we were still kids. But I don't think that's possible now," a lifeless chuckle escaped your lips, "because he's dead. The Kim Mingyu I grew up with is dead and replaced with an arrogant jerk who plays with innocent girls' hearts and crushes them to pieces with his hands."

"Y/N-ah..." His eyes reflected sadness and guilt. "I-I'm sorry."

"Why did you do that, Mingyu-ah?" you whispered.

"I..." Mingyu cupped your tear-stained face with his big, warm hands. "I just wanted you to see me in another way... because girls like bad boys?"

You stared at him, disbelief written all over your face. "Kim Mingyu, there is a fine line between 'bad boys' and 'jerks'."

"I'm sorry," he pleaded, "please forgive me. I promise I won't be a jerk anymore." He sighed and looked into your doe eyes. "And Y/N..."

"I like you."

Without realizing, you smiled. Placing a hand on his cheek, you whispered back, "I like you, too."

"And you can only be my bad boy."