DK - Talking to the Moon

"Y/N-ah, hey." Seokmin smiled, sitting down on a chair out in the balcony of their shared bedroom.

She didn't say anything in reply, and Seokmin knew why. He only smiled. "I missed you, you know? Today's been a long and tiring day with the boys. Coming home never felt so good."

Still nothing from the girl, and Seokmin was beginning to get irritated, though he still kept his cool. "The moon looks beautiful today, Y/N-ah, but not as beautiful as you." He looked up to stare at the starry night with the bright moon illuminating everything. He felt comfortable. "Y/N-ah, thank you. Thank you for always supporting me, thank you for always being there for me, thank you for caring for me, thank you for making me breakfast, lunch and dinner, thank you for coping up with my attitude, and thank you for loving me." He chuckled, and continued with tears brimmed in his eyes, "I know it's so cliche to quote a song, but thank you for being my eyes when I couldn't see, for parting my lips when I couldn't breathe, and for picking me up when I fall down."

Warm droplets of the salty liquid fell on his cheeks. "I never knew I had a dream until that dream was you. When I look into your eyes, the sky's a different blue. You cherish me with all your life, and I never gave you anything in return. We both knew this marriage was arranged, but still you loved me with everything you had. I'm sorry," he sobbed, "for treating you badly, for making you suffer, for hurting you even when I know I shouldn't. I'm sorry that I've only realized how much pain you had to go through, I'm sorry that you had to bear with me every single day and waste your life crying because of me. I know I'm not a good husband and never was, but please..."

"...come back to me."

Deep inside Seokmin knew, however, that what he asked for was impossible. She was too far away, in a place he couldn't possibly go to.

Flashback

"Promise me you'll keep singing every night out in the balcony so that even when I'm gone, I'll still be able to hear your voice," she whispered.

"You can't do anything about it?" he asked in a shaky voice. He was on the verge of tears.

She weakly smiled. "No, Seok, I can't. I'm sorry."

He shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not being a good husband, for making you go through the pain you never deserved, but please," he cradled her pale face in his hands, "don't go."

Her eyes started to water, but she held it and said, "Seokmin-ah, don't cry because I can't wipe your tears." Even after saying that, Y/N, with all the energy left in her, lifted her hand and placed it on his cheek, causing him to cry harder.

"Please don't leave me. I," he stared into her eyes and held her cold hand tightly, "I love you."

With those words flowing out of his mouth sounding so loving, she let out a sob as tears streamed down from her beautiful eyes. "I love you, too," she whispered back just as lovingly. She tried to sit up with Seokmin's help. She then circled her arms around his neck, pulled him closer and kissed his forehead before pecking his lips. "I love you, and I'll always be here." Y/N pointed at his heart. "Always."

End of flashback

And that was how Lee Seokmin ended up; with the deep regret and guilt of having realized how important she was to him, how much she loved him, only when he could see her smile no more, only when the bed on her side turned cold from being vacant for too long.

Only when she would forever be gone.