THIRTEEN

The next day, Tommie stood in the kitchen with Tia preparing dinner. All of Ace' relatives came to pay their last respects. The quiet rooms were filled with many mournful aunts, uncles, and cousins dressed in all black. They cried for the loss of one of their own.

Tia walked around the house aimlessly. She tried to put on a mask of acceptance, but Tommie saw right through it. Stevie made his way around the house doing his best to comfort Tia's grandma Tanya. Her soulful cries could be heard from outside.

Tommie's heart went out to their grandmother. Tia  was thankful that her brother was put to rest lavishly. Stevie didn't spare any expenses.

Ace' casket was black trimmed with pure silver, and hundreds of deep, dark, red roses filled the church. The service was beautiful. Tia broke down during Ace' eulogy. She could not find enough courage to say goodbye to her only brother as she watched people view his body and say their final words, but Stevie stayed by her side the entire time. Tia was grateful to have him in her life.

Tommie rushed around the kitchen helping Tia. She peeled potatoes, cut up vegetables, whatever she needed help with.

"Are you okay, Tia? You look tired. Girl, I can handle this. You should go lay down."

"T, I'm good. People die all the time. I'll be fine," she said wiping the tears that slowly fell, "I just can't be alone, okay?"

"Okay." Stevie walked into the kitchen and grabbed Tia away from the stove.

"Hey, babe, Tanya is asking for you. I can take over in here."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

He walked over to the stove to check on the pot roast that was roasting in the oven.

"I don't know what she would have done without you, Stevie."

"It's the least I can do, feel me? I know this is hard for her," he said nonchalantly.

"She's really lucky to have you," Tommie smiled, "I'm probably gonna go home after dinner. She's tryna keep herself busy, so she doesn't have to think about it, but I know she needs some time to deal with all this. And plus, you'll be here, right?"

Tommie knew she had to leave. She couldn't stop the feelings she was starting to have for Stevie. She hated seeing Tia and him together. She loved her friend, but she didn't think she was the right woman for him. Stevie deserved better.

"My bad, Tommie, with the funeral and everything today, I forgot to tell you. Scrapp's home."

"What?"

"My bad." He knew if she wasn't there when he got home, Scrapp was going to lose it. She ran to grab her purse on the counter and pulled out her cell phone.

She had fourteen missed calls from Scrapp. She called him back without listening to any of her voicemails.

"Hey, babe, I'm so sorry. I turned my phone off at the funeral."

"What funeral?"

"I keep forgetting I haven't talked to you. Ace was murdered the day before yesterday," she said softly.