Chapter 27

Me and Conor ran off stage hand in hand. When we got into my dressing room I embraced him into a tight hug.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming down here?! I thought something was wrong earlier as you were being off with me on the phone!” I wrapped my arms around Conor’s neck and he wrapped his around my waist.

“I wanted it to be a surprise. And I was in the room next to you, I didn’t want you to hear me or get suspicious so I had to make it quick. Sorry if I made you worried.” Conor gave me a kiss and I pulled him tighter to me.

“Can I ask how you even managed to get on the stage? Like, surely that’s against the rules?” Conor smiled at me and I felt my heart melt.

“I spoke to the producers and convinced them as it was your last performance it should be extra special. When I told them my idea they seemed up for it which surprised me a little but I guess they understand how much this would mean to you and to me. I’m glad they let me as the look on your face when I came out was priceless. You looked so shocked but happy at the same time.”

“Yeah I nearly stopped my performance when I heard the doors open! I wish someone had warned me so I could at least have been prepared!” Conor laughed and I smiled up at him.

“Yes but if someone would have told you it wouldn’t have been special or a surprise! Anyway, you completely nailed that song. You’re going to win, I can tell. And I think the public will vote for you more as they know that we’re in love so they will think it’s cute.”

“But I don’t want people to vote for me because they think we’re cute. I want people to vote for me because I have talent and that I can sing.” I frowned to myself and sat down on the sofa in the room.

“Alise, you have got talent. Even if I hadn’t have come on and sung with you, you still would have won. The public adores you!” I smiled at Conor’s kind words. “Anyway, aren’t you glad to see me?” I straddled Conor’s lap and leant down and kissed him.

“I’ve missed you more than anything.”

***

“Conor I don’t think I can do this.” I was currently placing the floor of my dressing room. It was official. I was in the final three of the competition and I was about to go on stage to find out my fate.

“Alise, Ali look at me.” I stopped pacing and looked over at Conor. He walked over to me and placed his hands on either side of my face. “Even if you don’t win, I will still be proud of you. And you should be proud of yourself for getting this far. Thousands of people auditioned and YOU are standing here in the final. That is an accomplishment on its own.” I hugged Conor tight and stayed like that until a blonde girl with a headset on came in and told me I had to get into position. I untangled myself from Conor and followed the blonde girl. I heard Conor shout a “Good luck!” And I quickly turned around to give him a smile. I stood next to Simon behind the giant double doors. He held my hand and I gave him a smile. I was his last act in the competition. The other two acts were a group called ‘Harmonies’ and an older women called ‘Rebecca’. Both two good acts. I had no chance. I listened carefully to Dermot introducing us to the audience.

“Can we give it up for the X-Factor Finalists!” The two doors glided open and the room erupted with screams and claps. I put on my bravest smile and walked to the centre of the stage, hand in hand with Simon. The music stopped as everyone was in positions. “Alise, Rebecca and Harmonies, it is time to announce your fate. It’s time to announce who has come third in the competition and who received the least amount of votes. The act who has come third is…” Of course there is a dramatic pause. I began to shake a little but I felt Simon give me a reassuring squeeze. “Rebecca! I’m so sorry Rebecca! Please say goodbye to the remaining acts and make your way off the stage.” I gave Rebecca a quick hug and whispered in her ear “You did great, I’m proud of you.” She gave me a smile but I saw a few tears falling down her face. She made her way of stage and I held Simons hand once again. “It is now time to announce the winner of the X-Factor competition. The winner of the X-Factor, 2013, is…” This was it. I was about to find out my fate. “…ALISE UZKALNE!”

***

I was sat in my room at the X-Factor house. Today was my last day here so it meant I was just going to pack up everything. Everyone was ecstatic for me and my family is proud, including Conor. But although I have just won a competition, a part of me is distraught that it’s all over. Now what happens? I have the X-Factor tour but after that, what happens after that? I’m not going back to Latvia as there’s nothing much for me there now. Everyone knows me here in the UK so I would have a better chance of getting my career started. Plus I’ll be closer to Conor. But that still leaves me career at a sudden stop.

I had just finished packing up everything when there was a knock at my door. “Alise, Simon would like to see you, he’s waiting down stairs in the kitchen.” It was Marcus. I smiled at him and made my way downstairs.

“Yo Simon, what’s up?” I sat down in front of Simon at the table and he gave me a warm smile.

“I need to discuss something serious with you.” I gave him a look as to say ‘carry on’ and he did. “It’s about your career and where you’re headed with it. First things first, there’s the X-Factor tour which you have already be informed of. But secondly, I want to talk to you about a record deal.” My heart stopped for a second. This is what I have been worried about. “I would like to get you set up with one of my own Record Labels. Now believe me when I say that there won’t be another deal as good as this one for you. I can tell you that a lot of people have been getting in touch with me saying that they want to sign you up for a record deal but I wanted to talk to you first. This deal has great money, greater than all the other deals, and this deal will make you more successful, and I’m not even bragging here. I’m sure you have heard of One Direction? They’re massive out there in the music industry and that’s because there with my record label. So what do you say Alise? How would you like to join Modest?” I was about to accept the offer right then and there, this sounds all too be good to be true! But before I could say anything Simon cut me off. “There’s only one problem…”

“What’s that?”

“The record deal will mean you will have to move to New York…” Ahh, it was all too good to be true.