one

The beach.

Ocean blue tides glimmering in the sunlight, salty waves crashing along the shore, little kids building sand castles, people splashing each other in the water, sand in between your toes, as the sun beams on your back.

It all sounded like a perfect euphoric day at the beach. Well, unless you were me. The sun was glaring at my face, as well as the places where my skin showed from my bikini, while the sand was burning the underside of my feet. I kept hopping around one foot to another, as I was trudging my beach chair, sweating to the point where I believed my sunscreen wore off.

I looked over to Dinah, who seemed to effortlessly carry her beach chair, a light breeze surfacing through her blondish hair, sunglasses on top of her head. She wasn't even breaking a sweat in the humid heat. She looked over to me, apparently amused.

"Yo Mila, need some help with that?" She teased, obviously seeing my struggle.

"Mm' fine." I replied. At the same time I said that, a seagull swooped down and starting squawking in my face. I let out a loud gasp, falling backwards and landing on my ass. Dinah bursted out laughing, which caught a few glances are way.

Embarrassed, I stood back up, brushing off sand that had caught on to my backside. Her laughter died down, wiping a few tears that had cascaded down her cheeks, in her fit of laughing. She looked at me, seemingly wanting to laugh again at my unimpressed face. With ease, she picked up my chair.

"C'mon noodle arms, let's find a spot before the seagulls claim you as their queen." She giggled.

I role my eyes at her playfulness. In the distance I could hear the seagulls insistence squawking.

"Fucking birds." I mutter.

We kept walking, until we found an open space with not too much people crowded together. We were close to the lifeguard tower, and close to the water, but not too close so that the tide would wash up on us. The taller girl set down the chairs, lying down on her chair as she put her sunglasses over her eyes. I collapse on my own chair, overwhelmed with how hot and humid it was. I just wanted to lay down forever.

"Chancho, get me some water. I think I saw some free water station on the boardwalk." Dinah said from her seat.

I whined with my head in between my arms. "No, you do it. I'm too hot to get up."

"I carried your chair for you."

"So?

"So, go us some water bottles."

I picked my head up and looked at her, she was holding onto the temple of her shades, which was now resting on the tip of her nose, as if she was observing something. I turned my head to see what she was looking at. On top of the lifeguard tower nearest to us, stood a guy, well lifeguard standing shirtless. From here, I could tell he was well built, a tall guy for sure. Messy brown hair, but it seemed fitting for him. Moles scattered across his back, and some on his face. You could say he was cute.