Chapter 27: THUNK! SQUELCH!

Clara gripped the scythe tightly and tensed her muscles, prepared to slice it across Grim's throat. She didn't know if she wanted to close her eyes or stare at the necromancer with contempt. She knew one thing for sure; she sure as hell didn't want to die at that moment.

And she didn't.

A loud bang echoed around and Mary roared, stumbling back and collapsing, clutching her chest which was bleeding almost fluorescent bright red blood. Clara let out a cry of shock and dropped the scythe. Grim took the chance to throw herself backwards, cursing as her back seared in agony, but out of the way of any scythes.

Vex reached down to grab his scythe but there was another deafening bang and he collapsed. When Grim looked it was to see a round bullet wound in the center of his forehead. It wouldn't keep it out for long but it was something.

Grim stood on shaking legs and looked around for whoever had saved her. It wasn't hard. A car had stopped on the entrance of the bridge, the other side to where Jessica and the van were. A woman with a scarf wrapped around her head was standing beside it. In her hand was clearly a very large and very shiny handgun.

The woman gave Grim a dainty finger wave and stepped into her car. She watched in disbelief as the woman drove closer and neatly parked her car on the side. When she stepped out Grim was shocked to see she recognised her.

"Norma?"

Yes, it was most definitely the necromancer expert. She'd never expected the ex-reaper to appear here, especially when the last time she'd seen her was in Sweden.

"What are you doing here?" Grim asked, limping over to her. Her ankle wasn't cooperating and she had to lean on the railing to stumble over.

The ex-reaper unwrapped her head, instead winding the peach scarf around her neck before answering. "Well deary, I simply had to come and help. I mean, I was sitting enjoying the leisure's of being a beautiful older woman amongst desperate young men, when I saw something troubling on the news. You see, a man had appeared outside of an airport and caused quite a number of deaths. I recognised the work of a demon reaper instantly, and I was alarmed. You didn't tell me a demon reaper had come into this realm."

"Yeah, well he came the day after I talked to you," Grim said dryly.

Norma pursed her lips. "Anyway, I was concerned. Why did he kill a bunch of humans and then take a shuttle of humans, unless they weren't human. What are they?"

"Soulshifters."

"Those pains in the asses are still around? Wow, I didn't expect that. I knew something was up nevertheless, and when I saw how close the airport was to this town I knew it wasn't a coincidence. I thought to myself, that silly named reaper is in over her young little head. Then I thought about it and decided that since I now live in this world that I want it to continue. I jumped on a plane and came to help. Looks like in the nick of time too," Norma finished with a tinkling laugh.

"What the hell is going on?" Mary snarled from the ground, hands placed on her chest to stop the bleeding.

Norma turned to her and raised her eyebrows. "A Drakaina. That's different. Oh, but I bet your a soulshifter in there."

Mary snarled at her and Norma laughed. "And who's that?" she asked, pointing her finger.

Grim turned to see Clara standing against the opposite railing, warm dark eyes wide with fear. Her eyes were no longer pure black and she no longer appeared as terrifying. In fact, she looked like she was indeed a six year old. It seemed the gunshots had scared her back into reverting to herself.