Chapter 24: Alpha command

"This is your car?" Grim asked critically, looking at the minivan.

"Are you serious?" Blake choked out.

"I mean, it's a minivan."

Blake sighed, "It's the packs van, used for moving around many people at a time. I have another car, it's in the shop."

"Sure you do."

"Is this really what we should be focusing on?" Blake asked as Grim hoisted him into the passenger's seat. He let out a groan of pain, and gave a hacking cough. "Oh god, everything is burning."

Grim sighed, "Yes, you've mentioned that it hurts sixteen times in the past ten minutes."

"Well, it does."

Grim gave him a small smile, "I know it does. Just think about when we find Mary, and we kill her."

Blake paused for a moment before nodding. "That helps."

Grim jumped in the driver's seat and stared down at the car. "Umm, yeah, I can't remember how to drive."

Blake blinked at her.

"I was sixteen when I died! I'd just got my learners! That was ten years ago. Besides, I never learned anything about a manual!"

"Well, if I have to drive in this state we should count ourselves lucky that you're dead and I can heal fast."

They switched seats and with many grimaces and groans, Blake started the car. They raced out of the driveway and onto the road. The streets were chaotic.

Houses had broken windows and doors. There were trails of blood leading out onto the road. Glass was littered everywhere. Every single shop had been broken into by desperate people trying to hide. Dozens of bodies lay on the ground, all in varies states. There were fresher victims, bleeding scarlet blood on the streets. Then there were the already dead. It was like a horror movie. They clawed around, moving even if they didn't have a head or a body. Disembodied hands crawled along, headless people slammed into walls, and torsos crept along the pavement, leaving a trail of black slime.

Yet, there wasn't a trace of a live human. The place had become a war zone.

Blake's fists were so tight on the steering wheel his knuckles were bone white. Grim laid a hand on his.

"You've made yourself bleed again."

Sure enough, the bandages around his wrist had become dark and wet. Blake swallowed and shook her hand off.

"I'm fine," he grunted. "I-I just can't believe Mary would do this."

Grim eyed the destruction. "I can."

Blake cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably, let out a brief moan of pain. "Where are we going again?"

"You're beta told me that he was heading towards the closest exit of town, the one near that old park with the crappy rusted playground. I bet that's where they'll all be."

"Yeah, I know the one. I got scratched once and my mother made me get tetanus shots, even though I healed in seconds."

Grim smiled as Blake speed up to hit a zombie advancing towards them missing an arm, but the other one holding a bat with nails imbedded in it. Black gunk covered the window as the bloated corpse burst on impact and Blake calmly switched the window wipers on. Grim couldn't help but laugh even in the bleak situation.

They knew when they were approaching the battle when the bodies started to increase. Here it looked like it had been raining blood. It covered the grass and road and bodies, and when Blake stopped the car and opened the door, the air was metallic with it.